Urology Expert Forum
Re: ## Testicular Discomfort / Groin Pain ## ... right now !

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Posted By Norman on April 14, 1999 at 14:25:28

Around about a year ago I began to get an uncomfortable sensation in my groin area.  Probably like most people, I ignored it and hoped it would go away.
It presented itself as a burning sensation from anus, over scrotum  / and partially up my penis.  I particularly found car driving / sitting for any length of time, a problem, so eventually went to see my MD around June / July last year.  
He examined me superficially, my testicles were quite red, I had been sitting in the waiting room for over an hour !  He thought it might be some form of fungal infection, so prescribed over the next 6 months various ointments / topical creams and various courses of antibiotics.
None of these treatments made any appreciable difference as far as I could tell.  I went back again and an appointment was made at the dermatology department of a local hospital.  The specialist confirmed as I thought, that I did not have a dermatological problem.
Today my symptoms are considerably worse.
I find sitting a real problem.  I slouch, sitting on my back really, to try and release any clothing pressure on my groin area.  If I had a desk bound job, I reckon I couldn't do it.  I find now that as the day progresses my testicles get sore, like a dull ache, along with the burning uncomfortable feeling.  This ache seems to get worse as I get home from work in the evening.  This is pretty debilitating as I'm sure you can imagine.
After a nights sleep, things are somewhat better in the morning, but the cycle starts again.  I sometimes try to imagine what it would be like to have even a short respite.
My MD sent me back to hospital, this time to general surgery.  A finger with KY was administered !  The doctor said from this that my prostate seemed OK.  They took blood and urine samples, I am due an Ultrasound test on my scrotum in May.
Otherwise I am a generally healthy 43 year old male with a young active family.  As I read this back I think I sound like an old moan, but I'm starting to get a bit desperate.
I have not had any STD's or have had the possibility of infection as far as I can tell.
I would appreciate any insight you may have, even any suggestions I could bring to my GP (that's what we call an MD over here)
( General Practitioner ).
Thanks .....

Posted By JR on April 16, 1999 at 14:22:54
What kind of antibiotics and for how long?
I am somewhat similiar to you - having red testicles at times, finding that bedrest relieves the discomfort, only to quickly recur upon rising.  Warm shows help for a short while, too.  Doxycycline seemed to help a little bit, but I still have recurrent headaches, low grade fever and reddish splotches on the scrotum that come and go every few days.  My doc has not yet tried the fungal approach, though.  
Seems you should seek out a urologist to see.  Good luck!
PS  Though I, too, am about your age, no one should have to suffer through these things, whether they be 8 or 80!  

Posted By Smog on April 16, 1999 at 22:07:04
I am 19 year olds I have the same problem.  I  went to the urologist on April 15th and he diagnosed me with urethritis.  He said this can be cause by trauma to the uretha, for instance doing sit ups.  He said it will eventually go away if you don't keep iritating it.  I had a culture sent out and if I have an infection he will put me on antibotics.  He told me to sit on pillows and stop doing sit ups.  He was 100% sure this was the problem.  

Posted By Sean on June 09, 1999 at 14:51:56
The symptoms that you described Norman, seem very similar to the pains I have been feeling since around February.  I am 23 years old and have had a groin discomfort since about February this year (1999).  I've been to my primary care physician four times regarding this matter, and every time he seems to not be very interested.  He has called it a sore muscle, a damaged nerve, anything but something I should worry about.  He believes that it will fix itself.
I first really noticed it doing situps like Smog pointed out.  That makes me wonder if it could be urethritis.  I could have experienced some trauma to my urethra during a foolish attempt to be cool on a stationary bike.  My testicles hurt for about three weeks after my one-day attempt to be a marathon biker.
My symptoms are:
* sore groin / testicle on the right side
* some pain during urination
* general discomfort when I sit for a long period of time
* general discomfort when I walk
* my spermatic cord seems to be inflamed when my pain is at its peak
* however, I do not experience the red testicles part
I know where you are coming from Norman, because after work the extra special pain starts to kick in.  Unfortunately it has not been enough to keep me from going to work, but it sure makes after work life miserable.  And I feel SO lazy because I just want to slouch.  And a good night's sleep does start over the cycle for me as well.  And maybe that's the reason I never want to get out of bed in the morning.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  I have yet to go to a urologist because my primary care physician seems so indifferent about the pain.
Thanks and take care!

Posted By Hector on June 21, 1999 at 10:16:06
I have a problem similar to Norm's. I have pain in the left side which seems to move back and forth between the left testicle and my hip area. I get relief from it only when in an horizontal position . However when I get out of bed in the morning it returns and is most uncomfortable. The pain ( smoetimes its more of an ache) it progresses down to mid thigh . It may be fairly sever for a couple minute before it eases to a tormenting  ache. I have gone to my MD but he had no diagnosis after a physical examination of the area and has referred me for an ultrasound . Any suggestions or diagnoses welcome.

Follow Ups:

Re: ## Testicular Discomfort / Groin Pain ## ... right now ! Zachary 6/21/1999
(0)