Urology Expert Forum
Re: Fear of injury to the bladder because of holding urine too long.

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Posted By Jerry on June 19, 1999 at 13:36:47
Dear Sir or Madam,
I'm a male, 36 years old, and never had any serious problems with my bladder before, and consider myself in good general health. About 10 days ago I was in the middle an interstate traffic jam in the middle of nowhere.  I had to hold my urine in almost extreme pain for about 40 minutes to an hour.  After releaving myself I felt my bladder becoming tender/resented.  I did not see any blood before and after I first urinated and ever since.  Today, my bladder still feels a little resented, it seems as if the feeling of knowing when you're close to have to go to the bathroom (soon) has disapeared. The feeling now is like I need to go right away after the very first indication, it's like I've lost the 'old warning mechanism.  At times after urinating, it's hard for me to control a few extra drops of urine that apparently did not make it, and it's a problem because its wetting by underwear a little.  The frecuency of having to go seems to be normal, as before the incident.  Can you offer any suggestions? (besides checking the traffic and the bathroom before driving away!!!)  What are the scientificaly known problems/ramifications for containing urine for long periods of time, what are the known possible symptoms or indications of injury?  Any household remedies or is there anything I can do or check before deciding to go to a urologist. Thank you very much in advance!

Posted By ron doctors on June 19, 1999 at 20:16:19
Go and get a complete urological check up with a urologist.
You may have only a tempory problem or a chronic condition.
Make sure that you have cystopic exam. ( a small fiber optic camera is inserted in the urethra, it is a bit uncomforatble but the ONLY way to see inside ).
Make sure you have post voiding volume measurement too. Also get your PSA and kidney function blood panel at the same time.
Urological problems are often not noticed until damage has occured.
If your urologist wants to do surgery get a second opinion and then don't have TURP without looking at the other options first.
( I am not a medical practitioneer and these opinions are for information only ).
feel free to to email direct for further discussion outside the scope of this forum.

Posted By slw- md on July 07, 1999 at 23:25:04
Holding onto your urine for a long time, or conversly doing a lot of lifting or straining with a full bladder can lead to prostatitis, either infectious or inflammmatory.  You probably dont need an extensive work up, but some antibiotics might  help.   See more on wmfurology.com  

Follow Ups: