Urology Expert Forum
Re: Frequent Urination

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Re: Frequent Urination

Posted By TLH on May 26, 1999 at 11:47:51
I am a 25 year old female.  I have always had a problem with frequent urination. I can urinate once and then 10 minutes later the urge will hit me again.  I usually get up three times during the night and wake in the mornings with a very strong urge to go.  I do not have any pain or burning when I urinate. This is getting to be a nusciance.  I have never had a kidney or bladder infection.  I have had one kidney stone a few months ago.  I don't know if I should see a urologist to get to the bottom of the problem or if it is all in my head.

Posted By HFHS M.D.-CK on May 28, 1999 at 14:08:55

Dear TLH,
Urinary frequency is a function of the amount of urine you produce and how much your bladder can store.  If you drink excessive amounts of fluid, for example, urinating frequently to process all of the urine produced would be required.  If your bladder has only a small capacity frequent urination with even a normal fluid intake can be seen.  An irritant to the bladder such as infection, stone at the junction of the ureter and bladder, or tumor can also result in urinary frequency.  Neurologic problems may also be present.
A log of the amount of fluid you drink and urine you produce will help the urologist determine the cause for the frequency.  The bladder can be tested after voiding to see how much residual urine is left behind.  A urinalysis can check for the presence of infection or blood that would require further evaluation.  An abdominal x-ray to search for residual stone fragments after your stone treatment may prove helpful.  treatments include diet changes, medicines to relax the bladder or surgery for stones tumors or to enlarge the bladder.
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available through our department at the Henry Ford Hospital  and its suburban locations (I-800-653-6568).
Sincerely;
HFHS M.D.-CK
   * Keyword:frequency, ureterovesicle junction stone

Follow Ups: