Urology Expert Forum
Re: Gross Blood and clots in urine after sexual intercourse.

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Posted By HFHS M.D.-BE on January 13, 1999 at 13:03:21:

In Reply to: Gross Blood and clots in urine after sexual intercourse. posted by Chris on January 06, 1999 at 19:23:02:

After having sexual intercourse, I try to urinate and nothing but blood clots and almost pure blood comes out. Sometimes I can't even urinate for a while because the clots won't let the urine come out till I relax or get a warm shower. And over 80% of the time when I ejaculate, it is seman and blood. Going on for over 4 years off and on. I have seen two Urologists that have not been able to give an answer. I have gone thru 4 cysto's & blood work but they show nothing but a small inflamed prostate. They usually brushed it off and said that it was a broken blood vestial or something of that matter. It hasn't happened for over a year till now, it just went away the other times, I can't link it to any time or matter, it just pops up. Not only is this frustrating but it bothers me emotionally and takes the pleasure from having sex worrying about the results after it. I am only 27 years old & have no known medical problems. Can you give any advice or info?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Chris,
From your descriptions and the account of work-up by the urologists it seems that you have a difficult to diagnose problem. I tend to agree with your doctors about the source of bleeding.
The fact that the bleeding follows sexual intercourse suggests a process in your urethra, prostate, or seminal vesicles.  The work-up includes a thorough physical exam as well as tests to exclude hypertension, tuberculosis, and/or prostate cancer, and/or bladder cancer.  Further, cystoscopy is a crucial part of a complete exam for you.  Given that you have been evaluated by a urologist and had no findings, the best course would be to have an exam, specifically cystoscopy at the time of bleeding.  You should arrange this with your urologist so that when the problem presents you can go right in for the cystoscopy.  Blood in semen (hematospermia) is usually a self-resolving and benign problem that occurs in younger men (mean age is 37).  
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-BE
*keyword: gross hem w/ intercourse
A related discussion, Blood in urine after sex was started.