Urology Expert Forum
Re: Interstitial Cystitis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Re: Interstitial Cystitis

Posted By HFHS M.D.-MS on June 22, 1998 at 05:29:01:

In Reply to: Interstitial Cystitis posted by Robin on May 28, 1998 at 17:44:24:

: Dear Doctor,
I just had a urodynamics test done.  The test revealed a higher than normal pressure...they said where I should have been registering a "0", I was registering a "10".  They filled my bladder with 200cc's of fluid, and I was very uncomfortable.  They removed the catheter so that I could void.  I sat down, and nothing came out.  We tried all of the tricks, running water, etc.  At this point, they put the catheter back in, and put in an additional 100cc's of fluid.  I was in extreme pain at this point.  Again, the catheter was taken out, and when I sat down to void, NOTHING HAPPENED.  Eventually, I did void 54cc's of urine...NOT MUCH.  The doctor suspects I have IC.  What is your opinion on this based on the information I have given (I know that this is ONLY an opinion...I am NOT holding you to ANYTHING)?  What causes IC, and how is it treated?  Also, I have Endometriosis.  I just had a Lap in February, but it has already come back with a vengeance!  At my last surgery, Endo was found on my left ureter.  After the surgery, I had an IVP, which was found to be normal.
Thank you so much for your time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Robin
Thanks for your questions.
A higher  bladder pressure during filling means there has been some loss of  bladder compliance( the stretch of the bladder ). Medication can help this condition.  Your possible low compliance bladder needs close follow - up else possible kidney damage may result.  I would not be so worried about not being able to void  in public  but am interested in your symptoms after your bladder was distended with fluid.  Most IC (interstitial cystitis) patients  after a hydrodistention treatment have improvement of their symptoms.  IC could be a contributor to your symptoms but they might be confused with those of your well diagnosed endometriosis.   Answers to your basic questions are found elsewhere in this forum ( others have asked the same question s and their answers can be found by using the search site function and keying the words interstitial cystitis or IC . Then look under the heading  Forum.  You can also search the dates of posting mentioned in the responses if the original search does not provide the info.
Basically IC is a painful bladder syndrome for which a direct cause has not been found.  Surgery includes bladder biopsy for probable diagnosis and the stretching of the bladder with fluid for treatment.  Everything but the kitchen sink has been tried for a treatment.  The delivery of most of this drugs are instilled through a self inserted bladder catheter.  ELMIRON is a oral medication that helps a fraction of women.  Its proposed mechanism of action involves providing  materials to use for the bladder to help heal its damaged inner lining.   It is expensive and may take up to six months to work if it does.  Spontaneous remission is seen in 50%.  Radical surgery is rarely employed.
Hope this has helped.  
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians notes and lab test results that you  may be able to obtain. These will help us greatly.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.
Sincerely;
HFHS-M.D. MS
* Keyword: Interstitial cystitis, IC, bladder compliance
0.5
Dear Doctor,
Thank you so much for your reply to my question regarding IC.  I am not concerned about the fact that I couldn't go to the bathroom while the others were in the room.  My problem was that while I was in extreme pain from having my bladder filled with 300 cc's of fluid, I couldn't void.  Finally, 54 cc's of urine did come out, but that took quite a bit of time.
You had said that you were interested in knowing this.  Any other response that you have to this additional information is greatly appreciated.  Again, thank you so much for your time and expertise.
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Robin
Thanks for your follow-up.
Most IC patients have temporary relief  of their symptoms after their bladders are distended.  If you have experienced some relief , this fact makes a interstitial cystitis a  true and likely diagnosis.
  More individualized interstitial cystitis care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians notes and lab test results that you  may be able to obtain. These will help us greatly.
Sincerely;
HFHS-M.D. MS
* Keyword: Interstitial cystitis