Urology Expert Forum
Re: Kidney Stones?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Re: Kidney Stones?

Posted By HFHS M.D.-MS on February 04, 1999 at 15:49:26:

In Reply to: Kidney Stones? posted by Patsy on February 02, 1999 at 18:54:45:

About a week ago I started having severe lower back pain that stretched into my upper right flank. I went to the ER and was tested for Kidney Infection. The urine test only showed small amounts of bacteria but they sent me home with a three day dose of antibiotics anyways. They said that they only thing it could be was appendicitis or my ovaries.Today the pain is locolized to my right side, starting right below my ribcage and radiates down my flank and into my lower back. I feel the worst when i sit. Like I'm putting pressure on something below my ribcage that I shouldn't. It makes me short of breath and terribly uncomfortable since I have a desk job. The closest thing I found to match my symptoms is kidney stones. I have a doctors appt tomorrow. Am I on the right track?
Sincerely,
Patsy- (25 female, smoker, heavy coffee drinker]
      =

Dear Pasty
Thanks for your question.
Flank pain has a large differential diagnosis.  An abdominal Xray is used to  look for kidney stones.
Bacteria in the urine and flank pain can mean a kidney infection / pyelonephritis but this is usually treated with at least ten days of antibiotics .  Your urine culture can direct your antibiotic treatment.   I doubt they would have sent you home if they really thought you had an appendicitis.  Gallstones can also be in the differential and can be ruled out with an ultrasound.  Well,  that is enough guessing for me, be sure to see your doctor tomorrow  and ask him/ her their impression.  
     By the way,  did you think I was going to let you get away without bugging you  to quit smoking?????
Good Luck and stop smoking.  It is probably the worst health risk you have.    
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians notes and lab test results that you  may be able to obtain. These will help us greatly.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.
Sincerely;
HFHS-M.D. MS
* Keyword: flank pain