Urology Expert Forum
Re: Lump in groin

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Re: Lump in groin

Posted By C.R. on April 12, 1999 at 15:23:47:

In Reply to: Lump in groin posted by Christopher Blair on April 12, 1999 at 15:03:22:

I am a 44 year old male with a rather large lump in my groin on my left side. The object is located at the very lower end of the groin - very nearly, but not quite, in the "crease" formed where the leg joins the abdomen. It is roughly the shape of a flattened or ovate cylinder, an inch or so long and 1/4 to 1/2 inch in "diameter."
   It appeared quite suddenly a week ago - I discovered it at night after coming home from work and I am 99% certain it was not present when I showered that morning. It does not hurt at all; there is no itching and very little if any skin discoloration - maybe a slight bit of redness. I was totally unaware of its presence until I felt it while soaping the area with my hand in the shower.
   I have no other lumps or swellings anywhere, including under my arms, etc.
   I have had a few cysts in the past (in my arm and neck - never
anything in this area) and this feels pretty much like them, but it is probably 10 times larger than the biggest cyst I've ever had. Usually the cysts have disappeared within a short period of time so I generally have not sought treatment for them, but this has me somewhat more concerned.
   I appreciate any thoughts you might have concerning what this might be, and whether I should seek immediate treatment.
It sounds like it might be a hernia. Does it protrude more when you cough? The biggest danger might be a strangulation of the intestine,if that's what it is. Prob.no big hurry, but a Dr. oght to see it.

Follow Ups: