Urology Expert Forum
Re: Testical pain, Pain during urinating , back pain , all around weak ...

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Re: Testical pain, Pain during urinating , back pain , all around weak feeling

Posted By Chris on June 07, 1999 at 14:34:28
Hello
   I am a seventeen year old male , for the past 3 months i have been having some problems , it first started as slight burning during urination , and developed pain in testicals , then over all a feeling of being weak all down
there , it seems to be getting worse over time .
   I have seen doctors and they have been soo busy they would just schedule for for another month away without a diagnosis , so i have recently gone to the emergency room  , and they ran a blood and urine test , and they didnt find any infection , i then told them i wanted STD tests and told them i was a virgin but
had sexual contact , they denied me of this and said it wasnt necessary and was unlikely that was the problem, they then asked me if i would like  psychoatric treatment anc counceling and asked if i would like to be admitted , i said no
in other words they think i am imagineing all this. which i am not ,
i am very confused and do not know what to do, i would really appreciate your advice.
Thanks ,
Chris

Posted By JR on June 08, 1999 at 16:54:26
What do you mean by saying that you are a virgin with sexual contact?  Do you mean you had oral contact?  Manual contact?  How soon after the encounter did you first notice the burning?  How long did the burning last until if finally went away, or did it go away completely?  Did you ever notice a discharge from your penis?
Please answer these questions and maybe I can provide some more information.
With what you have described, it sounds like it might be prostatitis.  Prostatitis can be caused by an STD that was not treated, such as chlamydia.  It can also be caused by a host of other things and can be quite difficult to treat.  You may need to see a urologist who understands prostititis, and long term antibiotic therapy may be necessary which, if you are lucky, will cure you completely.  
From what you have described of the ER, it does not sound like they either did a culture of your blood or urine, nor examined or cultured a sample of your prostatic fluid.  If the doctor finds white blood cells in the prostatic fluid, the diagonisis of prostatitis is made, and antibiotic therapy is begun. I do not know that chlamydia or gonnorhea (Gonorrhea) can be detected without being cultured, so I doubt that an STD can be ruled out at this point. despite what the ER may have told you. I know that some doctors do not think it likely that an STD can be passed to a male via oral or manual contact, but it most certainly happens.  
Hope this helps. Try to answer the questions for some more information.  

Posted By Chris on June 08, 1999 at 23:42:59
JR
  I had Oral sex Give and recieve , in janurary of this year , and i just noticed the burning 1 1/2 months ago . there is no discharge , and i still have the burning to this day and sometimes it wakes me up at night and i have to toss and turn to get comfortable enough to fall asleep agian , my muscles have been kinda sore in my bottocks and legs around that area , thank you for your help please write back soon..

Posted By JR on June 09, 1999 at 10:04:12
Your symptons are consistent with prostatitis, though only a physician who examines you can tell you for sure.  Your best bet for treatment would appear to see a Urologist.  He should obtain a sample of your prostatic fluid by massaging your prostate gland through your rectum (not exactly fun but not exactly painful, either).  The fluid will come out of your penis and he will put a few drops on a slide and check it under a microscope for signs of pus.  If he sees any, the diagnosis of prostatits is generally made.  He may send off a sample of the fluid to be cultured, too.  He should also, even most importantly, check you for STDs.  
He should also put you on a course of antibiotics.  As a minimum, you should recieve 30 days of Cipro, 500 mg, if you have prostatitis.  If he believes that your prostatitis is a result of exposure to Chlamydia, however, he may give you something else, most likely doxycycline.  In this case, however, you may still need followup therapy with long-term use of Cipro. You may need a good, understanding doctor to get this type of treatment; hence my recommending a urologist who understands how difficult treating prostatitis is, if this is indeed what you have.  
Getting back to chlamydia, there have been reported cases of contacting it via oral sex.  If your girlfriend was not a virgin, or had not given/received oral sex from another, then this could explain your illness.  If so, you picked up the infection in January from her and it took six weeks for the infection to make itself known.  Now, I am not saying that you have chlamydia, nor should you accuse her of having it, either.  It can be caused by other things that may or may not be related to your sexual encounter.  I keep mentioning it because even if antibiotics cure you, she will remain infected.  Also, even if you are cured of the infection, it may still take some long term antibiotic therapy to cure you of the residual effects.  Thus, you may need doxycycline followed by a month or two of Cipro.  (Please note that females are generally sympton-free of chlamydia, and that about of half of all males do not notice any symptoms initially.  It can come back and cause, in men, epididimitis or prostatitis and, in women, infertility.)
Maybe when you see a new doctor you can forget to mention that you are a technical virgin.  I mean, if you have an STD, it doesn't matter how you got it, you just want it cured!
In closing, there is an internet newsgroup devoted to prostatitis:  alt.support.prostate.prostatitis.  There is a lot of good information there as well as a lot of bad information.  By doing a search from www.deja.com you should find some that is helpful.
Good luck, Chris. I have prostatitis myself.  My doctor reluctantly put me on three weeks of doxycycline, not knowing what I had and, when my condition only improved slightly, thankfully sent me to a urologist.  He did the prostate fluid thing and immediately gave me 30 days of Cipro and 14 days of Celebrex (an anti-inflamatory).  It helped, but I was not totally symptom free, so he gave me another 30 days of both drugs, which I am now taking.  He also mentioned that he would much rather treat prostrate cancer than prostatitis, as he could usually cure the cancer, but that the prostatitis was a bear to deal with.  He was only half serious, but it indicates it is something that requires some serious therapy which most family doctors don't understand and who, instead, tell us "it is all in your head".

Posted By Chris on June 09, 1999 at 13:01:58
Thanks JR
           But im going to have to hold out for another 3 weeks for the app my urolgist scheduled for me to see him agian , other then that i have been drinking alot of liquids and stuff , it doesnt seem to do much , i just really need this to stop , cause its been going on too long now and the doctors appointments are too far apart , i just hope this doc when i see him understands this and does the tests and diagnoses me instead of making another appointment another month away.

Thanks agian
Chris

Posted By JR on June 09, 1999 at 15:17:53
In the meantime, be sure to study up on prostatitis and STDs so that you can converse intelligently with the doctor.  Thus, if they say you can't have a bacterial STD because you did not have intercourse, you can point out that one sure as heck can get it from oral sex, as you read first hand accounts about it on the internet.  Also, sometimes by asking questions and requesting a certain course of treatment, the patient can get a higher level of cooperation from the doctor.  Thus, as they are mulling over treatment options, you can lead them on to give you 30 days of Cipro or doxycycline or whatever, whereas you may have received only 10 days or nothing at all.  
Another thing you can try is to call the doctor up right now and see he will phone in a prescription for doxycycline whilst you are awaiting for an appointment.  They may not do it, but it won't hurt to ask as you are obviously suffering, and doxycycline is a good, safe broad-spectrum antibiotic that should help you out.  As an alternative, you can visit a local area health or STD clinic on a walk-in basis.  They should be able to do something, though they may not be knowledgeable about prostatitis.
Keep us informed, Chris.  We all are able to learn something from the experiences of others.  

Follow Ups: