Urology Expert Forum
Re: What are the possibilities?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Re: What are the possibilities?

Posted By Janice on April 27, 1999 at 09:31:23
I had a renal ultrasound and IVP.  They said I have a kidney stone in the lower right kidney and a possible peri-pelvic cyst on my left side (what is this???)
I have an appointment with a urologist named Dr. Weyrich - do you know anything about him???? What can I expect from this appointment??  Does this explain the frequent urination and pressure in the bladder????  Can a cyst ever be cancerous???   When they say possible cyst, what else could it be?  I have pain in my right back that goes around the front.  On the left side, it is mostly in the abdominal area - which is quite painful.  I would very much appreciate your response.  Thank you.

1 Comment
Posted By Janice on May 01, 1999 at 18:04:32
Here is my report - any comments????  The lower pole of the right kidney there is a 5 mm echogenic focus which does not shadow but subsequent IVP demonstrates this to be a small stone.  In addition there is a 1 cm left peripelvic cyst present.  Preliminary scout film demonstrates a small calcific focus overlying the lower pole calyx of the right kiodney.  another calcification present within the right Hemipelvis.  Folloowing the injection of IV contrast there is prompt symmetric opacification of the kidneys.  The right and left renal collection systems are not dilated.  The relationship of the distal right ureter to the small calcification within the right renal pelvic could not be established due to lack of visualization of the ureter but is felt that the calcification most likely represents a phlebolith.  The opacified bladder appears normal.

Posted By HFHS M.D.-AK on May 05, 1999 at 16:41:49

_______
Dear Janice,
I think you have a stone in your right kidney that does not necessarily need immediate attention.  There is no evidence of obstruction and your kidneys appears to be functioning fine.  The fact that there is no delay in excretion of the contrast and there is no evidence of hydroureteronephrosis indicates that there is no obstruction of the right ureter.  Usually contrast can be seen filling the ureter such that a phlebolith can be ruled out.  Often oblique films are take for this very reason.  Unfortunately your films did not identify the pelvic calcification outside the ureter.
The phlebolith itself is harmless and I wouldnt worry about it.  The only other thing it could be is a stone.  If you have pain or another reason to suspect that your kidney is blocked, a non-contrast CT scan can be done to look for a stone.  It is also possible that the current stone in your kidney may at some time cause you pain.  If this stone is pushed out of the renal pelvis, it can get stuck in the ureter and cause you pain.  Over time stones tend to increase in size.  Eventually, you should have this stone broken before it causes you future pain and suffering.
For now, I would drink plenty of fluids.  If your stone becomes 10mm in size, most likely your urologist will break it up with ESWL or shock wave lithotripsy.
Just to give you more information, if your renal stone ever mobilizes into the ureter, you doctor may elect to look up the ureter to basket the stone(ureteroscopy).  There is also the option of squirting dye in a retrograde fashion up to the kidney to identify if there is anything obstructing the ureter.  Right now I would not recommend these studies because they are too invasive, but if your situation changes, they may be needed.
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-AK
*keyword:Renal calculus

Follow Ups:

Re: What are the possibilities? Janice 5/17/1999
(1)

What are the possibilities? HFHS M.D.-CK 5/18/1999
(0)