Urology Expert Forum
Re: blood in urine and pain on side

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Re: blood in urine and pain on side

Posted By Michael  on October 21, 1998 at 18:54:11:

In Reply to: blood in urine and pain on side posted by Julie on October 21, 1998 at 13:24:22:

I have had a pain on my side sometimes moving to lower back and pelvic area for about 3-4 weeks. I went to Doctor a week ago and he found "lots" of blood in my urine. I have had an IVP showed no tumor, stones, etc. The doctor thinks it is a kidney stone too small to see on IVP. He is monitoring me and says it will pass (the kidney stone). Can a kidney stone take this long, and the pain is not as bad as I've read a kidney stone can be.What else could the blood mean?
Julie,
  Not being a doctor, but a fellow stone-sufferer, all I can tell you is from personal experience.  But, yes, I have had a stone take that long to pass, and I have had one's that don't show up either on X-rays or IVPs.  I honestly don't know what else the blood could be, but all of your symptoms sound typical for stones.  I've passed about five stones since my problem started six years ago, and I have had only one experience where the pain is as bad as they say it is in the book.  Believe me, when you experience it, you'll know it!  I started feeling the symptoms of my first stone almost two months before the stone passed.  I didn't even know it was a stone until it came out.