Urology Community
Recovery from Surgery for Bladder Diverticulum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Hello there:

I am a 42 yr old male who was diagnosed with a giant bladder diverticulm. Everyone who took a look at this diverticulum said it was the largest they had ever seen.

It has since been removed. My bladder now has a mostly normal shape, is slightly off center, but is smaller then the actual diverticulum was. I had a catheter in me for three weeks after surgery, which has since been removed.

I am now at home trying to recover normal bladder function, or at least get back to where I was before surgery, and it has been rough going. I am begining to wonder if surgery has made things worse because at least before surgery I was able to leave the house, urinate in public restrooms, etc...

Before I tell you what is going on now, let me also add that I have one more stent left in one of my ureters. This is due to come out next week.

Now, when I got home after the catheter was removed I tried everything I could to urinate and nothing worked. I was about to self catheterize. Instead I found that if I had an orgasm, then got into the shower, I was briefly able to urinate and achieve relief for my bladder. I had to do this three times the first day.

Now I no longer have to achieve orgasm first. I find instead that if I enter the shower, crouch down, and really strain, I am able to void. Slowly and painfully, but I do achieve relief. I strain so much that I am sore in my abdominal area afterwards and each and every time I do this I also have a bowel movement while in the tub.

Obviously this is complicated and makes it impossible to leave the house. I am now voiding in this manner about every four hours on the clock. Am unable to sleep for more than three hours.

Is there anything about this process I use that illuminates in any way what the problem might be? Will my bladder function improve over time and if so how much time? Is there a drug I can take that will facilitate urination? I find that once I start, I am able to get relief but that starting is very, very difficult.

And is there anything I can try (beyond what I am doing) that might help make urinating easier?

And finally, is there anything I can take to help myself sleep better that will not also increase the difficulty of urination?