Urology Expert Forum
Recurrent, Large, Fast Growing Kidney Stones
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Recurrent, Large, Fast Growing Kidney Stones

I have had 10 lithotripsies for large (8-10 mm) fast growing (within 6 months recurrance) kidney stones. I know they are made up of calcium oxylate.  I now have 3 stones and have urine that looks like cola.   I have gone to two urologists over the years.  The first takes this very lightly and could care less and the other seems disinterested as well.  I try not to be neurotic about this, but the color of my urine  has me a bit alarmed. Is ther any resolution to this problem?  Is there a stronger form of lithotripsy that would be able to break up these stones better?  Is this situation less serious than I am making it?
Related Discussions
=============================================
Dear Chris,
Your concerns are quite legitimate.  From your history you are a chronic stone former.  This is of course a very difficult problem to live with, as I am sure you are well aware of.  
From your descriptions  I suspect that you have blood in your urine causing the discoloration.  This could be due to the irritation from the stones or infection or both.  You must be evaluated and treated accordingly before too long.
There are different kinds of lithotripters, but the most effective is the original one(HM3)  made by Dornier from Germany , which uses a bathtub for the patient to be immersed in.  The more modern versions have their own advantages as well, such as being less traumatic, or not requiring any anesthesia , or need for a bathtub.  But the stone crushing capacity of the HM3 is superior.
Lithotripsy, even though an effective method , is not the ultimate answer to your dilemma.  You need to have a full work-up for your underlying metabolic problem that causes you to form as many stones as you have.  This would include a 24hr.  urine sample and some blood tests, as well as biochemical analysis of your most recent stones.  The results may help to tailor a combination medical/ diet treatment regimen to help decrease, or hopefully stop, your stone formation.
You need to discuss this with your urologist(s), and come up with a plan.  If you will not get any results, you may be well advised to find a urologist who specializes in stone disease and treatment.
The best of luck to you.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Pleas
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker