Urology Expert Forum
Recurrent UTI's

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Recurrent UTI's
I have had recurrent or frequent UTI's since I was 13 years old.  I have been on any anti-biotic you can think of.  I have tried herbal things to prevent and been on anti-biotic therapy to prevent.  Still, I get them.  I am now on day 13 of this one and have been on cipro and macrobid with no relief.  I see my MD tomorrow, but I am one of those fortunate that do not have health insurance and have a doctor that knows less then I do about UTI's.  What can I take with me as a possible next step?  I've had ultra-sounds, x-rays, CT-scans.   If you have any advice I would appreciate it.
I'm sure that sending the urine for culture was done.  Check the bacteria to ensure it isn't resistant to the antibiotics you received.  

If the infections continue, I would consider obtaining a cystoscopy.  This can comprehensively evaluate the lower GU tract that may predispose for infection.

Otherwise, consideration of prophylactic antibiotics can be considered to prevent recurrent infection.

These options can be discussed with a urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
A related discussion, Nonstop UTI was started.