Urology Community
Recurring Blood in Urine worries me

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Recurring Blood in Urine worries me

Over the last 8 yrs or so I've had a lot of what seems like UTI symptoms. Tons of tests (ultrasounds, IVP, CT scan, urine cultures/tests, gyno check-ups) and nothing was ever found.  My main symptoms were always lower abdominal pain, urge to urinate, and pain was usually worse after sex.  Approx. 3 yrs ago, I was rushed to hospital in Ambulance after 3rd violent vomiting attack. Outcome: I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease.  I've been in remission since thanks to watching what I eat and following a healthy diet.

Last Fall, I experienced weird pelvic pain again (after PAP test - argh) and this time it lasted a while (at least 2 months). Again, thinking I had a UTI, I went to Dr. and results from urine test were negative. Also, since that time, I've noticed blood in my urine (very dark brown and usually at the end of urinating) - with that I also have urine leaking from time to time, and notice blood in my urine after a bowel movement.  I had a CT scan last November and nothing was found. The only thing I have not yet done is get a Cystoscopy (which I FEAR big time).  The blood comes and goes, I've been trying to keep track and notice that it appears at least a week before my period. I'm not sure if there's a connection or not.  Come to think of it, they did find blood in my urine over 2 yrs ago and treated me with Cipro for UTI.

I'm female and soon will be 43 yrs old. I stopped taking the birth control pill almost a year ago after being on it for 21 yrs. Not sure if there's a relation to all this - is it hormonal or what!?

I'm not sure I can stand another test. I'm getting really frustrated with all of this.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I suggest that you have this further assessed. Gross blood in the urine may suggest a kidney problem ( eg structural problem like cysts or inflammation as in the case of nephritis ), problems in the bladder and the urethra, problems regarding coagulation factors in the blood and bleeding parameters. All these have to be ruled out. A hemogram which would assess the appearance and character of the red blood cells will help determine where the bleeding is coming from.

What were the results of your test? Was  a random urine sample for protein levels done? What was the result regarding your glomerular  filtration rate?

When I had an ultrasound & CT Scan last November - they did notice some thickening of my intestine (said it was inflammation due to my crohns). Bladder seemed OK. My blood test results were great. Urine culture was negative. I have never heard of a hemogram before and no, no random testing for protein levels was done either. I wouldn't know where to look or ask about the glomerular filtration rate.

I am going to call my family MD on Monday and get all this evaluated again.
Many thanks for your recommendations.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

A hemogram is a test where the size of the red blood cells are being assessed. This may give us an idea if the kidneys are involved. Also, was a colonoscopy done. The bleeding may be coming from the gastrointestinal tract. It is important to note the source of the bleed. If your kidneys are clear then it may not be the likely source.

Any problems with your menstrual cycle?
A colonoscopy was never done. I had the upper barium GI, tons of ultrasounds, and blood tests and that is how they diagnosed the crohn's.

My menstrual cycle seems to be sorta regular since I'm off the pill. Periods taking place everywhere between 26 to 31 days but lots of lower back cramping and much heavier bleeding.

I'm of normal weight. Never smoked and fairly active.

I just hope it's nothing serious.
Just to follow-up, I finally  had a cystoscopy this past week. It wasn't so bad really and I'm happy I went. It didn't hurt much at all. :) My bladder is fine. No cancer, and urologist said it looked healthy. I also got my period. Heavier bleeding and pain than usual. I'm beginning to think it's all hormone related but I am back at family doc this week for another consultation and probably more tests. My urologist didn't seem to have a solution for me and said it could be a mix and combination of things.

It's very frustrating.