Urology Community
Recurring Urine Protein and Odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Recurring Urine Protein and Odor

For the past several years I have had recurring bladder and kidney problems, including consistent UTI's. This past summer I had extreme abdominal pain and was treated for kidney stones and/or ovarian cysts, but now for the past several months I have been experiencing extreme foul-smelling urine. Each time, my doctor(s) have given me a urinalysis which sometimes comes back positive for bacteria and sometimes negative.  What always seems to come back, however, is an excessive amount of protein. When the results come back positive I am treated for a UTI; however I have no other symptoms of such (burning, frequent urination, etc.).  I regularly take cranberry pills/juice and lots of water, and I am a very healthy eater, so I know this has nothing to do with my diet.  My annual tested negative for STDs. This is a recurring problem, and it seems as though the various doctors I see just brush it off.  So what I am really wondering is, what's really going on?

This discussion is related to Urine Odor.
An Update:
I visited my doctor to get another urine test done, etc. so I could figure out what is going on.  I have now had a foul smell in my urine for over a month straight.  My doctor found no signs of a bacterial infection; however she did find a few traces of protein as well as ketones in my urine.  She said to just drink more water and hopefully the smell will go away.  One week later, I am still drinking TONS of water, have cut back on my caffeine intake, as well as my sugars and vitamins (these can all modify your urine odor).  Yet nothing has worked... in fact the smell is only stronger now.  Does anyone know anything about these recurring problems??? I just need some answers and a doctor to listen to what I have to say.  Something is certainly not right here.  
Hey Katie, I have the same issues And normally Bactrim cures uti infections....but Bactrim stopped working for me.  I read that Bactrim is becoming less effective in curing these type infections...however, I have had wonderful results with  CIprofloxin on a 7 day treatment, once every 12 hours.  Do not forget your dose and even when symptoms are gone you must finish the cycle of ciprofloxin for 7 days so that the bacteria does not become resistant to the antibiotic.  I am not a doctor, but I have much experience dealing with this. Melissa ..... ***@****