Urology Expert Forum
Redness of Skin on Scrotum

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Redness of Skin on Scrotum

I'm 23 years old and I have a left-side vericocele (as well as a very minor right-side one).  Over the past month I've been experiencing a redness of the skin on the scrotum, which i believe to be related to the vericocele.  It seems to me that the area closest to the vericocele is the most red region. This redness is not a rash, because it seems to go away temporarily when i've been lying down, or even just sitting down in a reclined position.  Just for an experiment, I did a handstand and observed that the redness momentarily disappeared.  It is not a painful problem, but it does itch at times, especially in the early morning. I've been to a bunch of doctors, and each one thought it was a different problem. A dermatologist told me it was just some kind of allergic reaction to a food or something,  but i highly doubt this. Another doctor told me it was Erythrasma, and put me on anti-biotics, which seemed to help a bit but the problem returned. Yet another doctor thought it was some kind of fungus.  But I feel that the fact that it disappears at times rules out all three of these scenarios. I need this problem to go away -- first of all because it's rather embarrasing, and secondly, it has cut into my daily routine by keeping me from going to the gym, on account that it gets irritated when I jog. Is it related to my Vericocele? The only information I can provide regarding family history of skin problems is that my Grandother apparently had mycosis fungoides, and my sister had chronic eczema from birth (I doubt there is any relationship there, but just in case). I would really appreciate advice on this situation.
Redness on the scrotum is not a common symptom of a varicocele.  At times, the vein itself may be visable, but this does not seem to be the case.

There are cases of infection that can present with scrotal redness.  This would include a cellulitis, or less likely epididymitis.  Other possibilities would be a fungal infection or dermatitis.  You have mentioned treatment with antibiotics.  If that is not effective, you may want to consider treatment with antifungal creams or steroid creams.  Epididymitis can be seen on a scrotal ultrasound.  I would also obtain a urinalysis and tests for STDs such as gonorrhea or chlamydia.  

The fact that it comes and goes may suggest a vascular problem as well.  Doppler color flows during the ultrasound can be obtained to see if there is any problem with the scrotal vasculature.

I would suggest a second opinion for a urology referral for further evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
1 Comment
0