Urology Expert Forum
Removal of Epididymis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Removal of Epididymis

I'm 42 and in good health. I had a vasectomy almost two years ago. Since then I have been having recurring pain in my right testicle. I have noticed that what is left of the vas deferens tube on the testicle side gets swollen at these times. After trying antibiotics and pain pills, my urologist wants to remove the epididymis on the right testicle. Does this sound like the right treatment? Any one else have this procedure? Can there be other compliations from this? Any other sites to check out more information? Any information is very much appreciated.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Paul,
One of the potential long term effects  of vasectomy is epididymal pain. This is from the pressure that is put on the epididymis by the testicular fluids and secretions which can no longer exit readily and settle in the epididymis and gradually get reabsorbed. This process of pressure on the epididymis causes pain and discomfort. If not responsive to antibiotics and pain medications, epididymectomy (i.e., removal of epididymus) is the required procedure.  Like any surgery, risks of infection and bleeding are always present. This procedure relieves pain in  up to 95% of men. You need to talk with your urologist if any other specific issues are present.
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1-800-653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-BE
*keyword: Epididymectomy