Urology Expert Forum
Repairing Penile Surgery Nerve Damage after three implant operations

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

My question is:  Is there anything I can do to partially or fully restore feeling in my penis now that the nerves are damaged?

I have great difficulty having an orgasm during sex with my wife or during masturbation.

1.In 1978, my penis was treated with radiation to correct Peyronies disease which left me with damaged blood cells so that I was not able to have an erection; however, I had normal feeling/sensation in my penis.

2.In 1980, I resorted to having a malleable prosthesis implanted. Unfortunately for me, as a direct result of the surgery, I could achieve a psuedo erection but I could not feel anything in my penis; the penile nerves were damaged. I could put extremely hot water on the skin of my penis to the point of burning the skin but did not feel it.  Looks like I swapped being able to get an erection at the price of not feeling much of anything. My surgeon had no explanation for how this happened and my current urologist is baffled because he said the nerves are on top of the penis and should not have been affected at all. I was able to achieve an orgasm at this time without any great difficulty; however as time went on it was less and less satisfying for me.

3. Now, after two recent surgeries, one to replace the old prosthesis with a pump/reservoir & tubing and another to improve/correct the first recent surgery, I most often cannot have an orgasm. Even with long duration masturbation, it does not always happen.  I am using a vacuum pump as well as the implant to achieve a good, firm erection which I could not get with either one of these alone.  

4. In October of this year, I had 3-hour open hernia operation.  It left a 6-inch scar in the groin very near to my penis.I wonder if the hernia operation could have made things worse and will ask my surgeon about this.

5. I plan to have my doctor give me a neurology referral to have electrodiagnostic testing done to determine if any nerves are salvagable.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide this 71 year old male who doesn't want to give up just yet.
Tough to say without a clear diagnosis.  It is possible that the hernia surgery would have further damaged the penile nerves, leading to decreased sensation.

I would also check for diabetes as well as thyroid and vitamin b-12 levels since disorders here can also lead to nerve dysfunction.  A testosterone level can also be considered to see if a low level is contributing to your symptoms.  

I agree with the neurology referral as well as electrodiagnostic testing as the next reasonable step.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0
A related discussion, Lack of orgasm was started.