Urology Community
Resection of the bladder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Resection of the bladder

What exactly is a resection of the urine bladder.  My son was informed today that normally when there is pain with a bladder cancer, it's possible there are cancer cells in the prostate and the kidneys.
Can someone please explain the resection, and the pain with the bladder cancer.  Are there any other reasons for pain with bladder cancer, except for the fact that it may be in other areas of the body?

Hello again. As I stated before, I've had bladder tumors removed. "Resection" refers to the procedure for removing the tumor. Actually, I think it is referred to as: TURB(transurethral resection of the bladder). They put a scope into the bladder and use a tool at the end to remove or burn out the tumor.

When they remove the tumor and some cells, they test for invasiveness.  I believe you said your son had a superficial tumor. I think if it had invaded the bladder wall and spread, they would have discovered it then. But again, I am not a doctor and just guessing. Perhaps one of the professionals will shed more light on the matter for you.

Continued good luck!
Thank you for the response.  I don't know at this point if the tumor is superficial.  We've gotten conflicting reports from two different doctors.
The doctor he saw today said that normally when there is pain with bladder cancer, it's possible the cancer has spread to the kidneys and the prostate.  Even though they tested his prostate, there could be cancer cells invading these other areas of the body.
I guess we will know more when the doctor he saw today calls his regular urologist to give his opinion, and decide what should be done next.
The doctor from today cannot do the resection for another 7 weeks.  He is booked solid.
I don't think my son will wait that long.  More than likely, he will have the first doctor do the surgery.
I should know more later in the weekend when the two doctors confer.  Will post an update.
I just wanted to say "thank you" for responding.  You've been a big help to me.
Blessings to you . .