Urology Community
Retro Pyelogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Retro Pyelogram

Dr. Veena
Thank you for the previous answer about my bladder polyp surgery.  You told me it was a simple procedure & that made me feel better about it.   I just don't understand why the doctor is doing a retrogram pyelogram?  I thought that was a test for the kidneys.  Please let me know if this is standard and your feelings on it.

Thank you in advance.....Linda
    How are you? A retrograde pyelogram is a type of x-ray that allows visualization of the bladder, ureters, and renal pelvis. Generally, this test is performed during a procedure called cystoscopy - evaluation of the bladder with an endoscope (a long, flexible lighted tube). During a cystoscopy, contrast dye, which helps enhance the x-ray images, can be introduced into the ureters via a catheter.

A retrograde pyelogram may be used in persons suspected to have an obstruction, such as a tumor, stone, blood clot, or stricture (narrowing) in the kidneys or ureters. It evaluates the lower portion of the ureter to which urine flow is obstructed. A retrograde pyelogram is also used to evaluate placement of a catheter or a ureteral stent - a wire mesh designed to prop open the ureter.

I think your urologist is suspecting an obstruction of the ureter wit a bladder polyp or wants to confirm the cause of this obstruction. An advantage of the retrograde pyelogram is that it can be performed even if the patient is allergic to contrast dye because a minimal amount of the contrast dye is absorbed by the body. The procedure may also be performed on persons with impaired kidney function. Complications with this proceedure could be over exposure to radiation, allergic to contrast material, bladder perforation,  haemorrhage etc.  

As the techniques and technology of ultrasound (high-frequency sound waves) and contrast dye have improved, other procedures such as intravenous pyelogram (IVP) and renal ultrasound have become more commonly used than retrograde pyelography.
Consult your doctor and discuss the various options for investigating your condition. Feel free to write to me for further queries.
Take care.

Take care.