Urology Expert Forum
Retrograde Ejaculation after Sigmoid Resection

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I'm a 45 year old healthy average weight Male. One Month ago, I had a hand assisted laparoscopic Sigmoid Resection for diverticulitis.  Post surgery, I have only had retrograde ejaculations while masturbating or during sex.  The colo-rectal surgeon said not to worry, that it should resolve itself.  He said give it 3 months, then he'd send me to a urologist if it was still happening

As part of the surgery, a stent was placed in my left ureter.  Reading from the urologist report..." A 22-French Storz cycstoscope" was used for placement of the ureteral catheter ---  "Using the Seldinger technique with a 7-French open-ended ureteral catheter and a 035 Bentson TFE guidewire... "   Also, "a 16-Frech urethral Foley catheter was inserted per urethra into the urinary bladder"

As far as the surgery, the only external incisions are one port above the navel, one port in lower right quadrant, and a 3-4 inch incision directly below navel

I  believe the stent was removed the day after surgery, and the catheter 2 days after surgery.

Is it correct to assume the stent/catheter probably is the cause of the retrograde ejaculation?  Will this resolve on its own, (when?) or should I see a urologist right away?  

I am not concerned with infertility - just that a retrograde ejaculation is not sexually satisfying.
-
-6 Comments
The reason for the 3 month wait is that this often resolves on its own.

The stent was in the ureter which connects the kidney to the bladder, nowhere near the testicles/seminiferous tubules/sperm duct/urethra

It would not be from the ureteral stent

It could be from minor trauma when the foley catheter placed thru the urethra into the bladder in order to drain urine from the bladder.  This kind of minor trauma sometimes causes adhesions or swelling, which is enough to prevent ejaculation but is not enough pressure to prevent urination
I am a 43 year old male with retrograde ejaculations, my wife and I are currently looking into different methods of getting pregnant (insemination,   in vitro...) what are all my options and are there medications, or alternative remedys that can reverse my retrogade ejaculations? It has been over 15 years since I had a regular ejacations
Some conditions cause sperm to move in the wrong direction, ending up in the urinary tract. Unfortunately, retrograde ejaculation is often a permanent condition.

One option is to have sperm obtained from a urine sample that is specially treated. The sperm are washed and then used in assisted reproductive techniques such as in vitro fertilization.
A related discussion, Retrograde Ejaculation Not Satisfactory was started.
A related discussion, Sigmoid Colectomy Post-Retrograde Ejaculation was started.