Saw Palmetto Use
I was told i had non bacterial prostitus several years ago.  I was treated with Cipro which did not help, so i started taking saw palmetto.  This seemed to help and it went away.  Now it is back again and I would like to start taking saw palmetto again, but I have a concern.  I had to be treated at a hospital for a bleeding stomach ulcer they think was casued by NSAID use for a shoulder injurie I had.  This was about 5 years ago and i have not had any problems since then.  Some of the reports I have seen say not to use saw palmetto if you have an ulcer with active bleeding and some say to ask a Dr. if you have had an ulcer.  Is Saw palmetto safe to use in my case?  Thanks
I have no personal knowledge of this drug beyond what I read. It appears that the drug can affect blood clotting, so if you are bleeding (from a gastric ulcer) this could cause it to bleed more. However, it does not cause ulcers, from what I have read.
Do look at the drugs with which it can interact before you take any.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.