Urology Expert Forum
Saw Palmetto Use

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Saw Palmetto Use
I was told i had non bacterial prostitus several years ago.  I was treated with Cipro which did not help, so i started taking saw palmetto.  This seemed to help and it went away.  Now it is back again and I would like to start taking saw palmetto again, but I have a concern.  I had to be treated at a hospital for a bleeding stomach ulcer they think was casued by NSAID use for a shoulder injurie I had.  This was about 5 years ago and i have not had any problems since then.  Some of the reports I have seen say not to use saw palmetto if you have an ulcer with active bleeding and some say to ask a Dr. if you have had an ulcer.  Is Saw palmetto safe to use in my case?  Thanks
I have no personal knowledge of this drug beyond what I read. It appears that the drug can affect blood clotting, so if you are bleeding (from a gastric ulcer) this could cause it to bleed more. However, it does not cause ulcers, from what I have read.
Do look at the drugs with which it can interact before you take any.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.