Urology Community
Scrotal Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Scrotal Cyst

About 2 days ago I noticed a pea sized lump in the tissue behind the left scrotum,under the skin, not quite on the perineum and not quite in the scrotum.  I was struck on the bottom of the left testicle in early january and had experienced some pains and testicle softening, but has since healed fully.  I went in to the student health doctor yesterday (I am enrolled in a university), and he said it was not in the scrotum but on the tissue behind the scrotum, and definitely under the surface of the skin, but diagnosed it as a scrotal cyst.  He said to keep an eye on it and if it does not change within several months, to see a urologist, but that if it worsens to come back in.  Today it feels sorer, and upon pressing it I can definitely feel that there is either a second, smaller lump, or the cyst has sort of split into two parts, giving the impression of a new cyst.  There is a very slight discoloration to the skin that I did not notice yesterday.  However, this could all be from self examining and pressing too much?

Just wondering of any opinions on what it might be?  My doctor did not seem confidant in his diagnosis("I don't really know what it is so I'm going to call it a scrotal cyst")  Do cysts have the ability to grow or split that quickly?  Are there any kind of sacs or nodes in the tissue to the back and sides of the scrotum that could be swelling like this?  How can the doctor tell just from looking and pressing on it that it is not some kind of tumor?  What should I look out for?

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

You have mentioned of a lump or cyst behind the scrotum and also recently noted discoloration. There was also a history of trauma to the area. Your history and the presentation of the lump requires further evaluation. You may have injured some structures within the sac.

During testicular examination, a physician palpates the areas and based on their knowledge of anatomy may be able to define the most probable structures involved. One can not however determine if a palpable lump is a cyst or a solid mass by palpation alone. You seek a urologist's consult so that a scrotal ultrasound may be done to determine what could cause the lumps.

Differentials will be a hematoma,hydrocele, varicocele, spermatocele or a testicular mass. These are just differentials.Your urologist will be able to help you.