Urology Expert Forum
Scrotal Cysts

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Scrotal Cysts

I had some very large cysts removed a few years ago. The urologist also removed 7/8 of the epididymis and thought that would solve the problem. It was very distressing that not long after the operation the cysts came back. They are quite large but not as big as before. The urologist just scratches his head and says he has never struck this problem reoccurring before.
I have regular yearly check ups with the urologist.
Also I had a vasectomy 22 years ago and the doctor noticed swelling in that area then.
It has affected my sexual function - no erection or ejaculation etc. which is quite distressing in my marriage.
Is there a remedy for this problem please?
There are several types of scrotal cysts, including epididymal cysts, spermatoceles and hydroceles.  The treatment of these cystic masses would vary depending on what type of cyst it is.

Typically epididymal cysts and spermatoceles do not require removal unless symptommatic.  It is certainly possible that they can recur, in which further urological care is recommended to evaluate whehter another surgery is warranted.  I would recommend a second opinion in this case.

If the cyst is a hydrocele, it is possible that they can recur.  Again, surgery should be reconsidered to remove the sac.  Another option would be percutaneous aspiration with injection of a sclerosing material.  However, there is no guaranteed results - whatever the procedure there is unfortunately a possibility that the cysts may recur.  

Regarding the sexual dysfunction - I would first check any hormone imbalances (i.e. total testosterone) and discuss with your urologist if Viagra is a viable solution.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.