Urology Community
Semen in Urine?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Semen in Urine?

While urinating,  it becomes like foam (or froth) in the urinal or toilet.    Is there a possibility that semen mixes with urine while passing?    If yes, how it can be tested?
Hello:  I would not be too concerned as I have observed this phenomenon.  Very highly unlikely that what you are observing is semen.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Foamy urine is common when you are passing urine too fast and it is concentrated. You could drink more water to see if it goes away. Proteinuria is just one of the causes of foamy urine. Urinary tract infections (UTIs) (commonly prostatitis) and retrograde ejaculation are two common causes in men. If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done for these. It is not due to semen in urine.

You will need a urine examination, culture and 24 hours urine sample for confirming the diagnosis.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

I have developed retrograde ejeculation after a TURP and resection of the bladderneck. With retrograde ejeculation, the semen enters the bladder as it finds the way of least resistance. In the case of surgery, TURP and resection, the sphyncter is somewhat damaged and during ejeculation the shyncter fails to close to outlet of the bladderneck. As a result semen in now forced into the bladder instead of out of the penis. Upon urination semen now is expelled out of the bladder and penis during the urination process.
I have never experienced frothy urine as a result of this, and have not come accross any other males with the same issue who mentioned frothy urine.
Semen in the bladder just was expelled during urination. It is more like clumps of semen coming out with the urine.
I have also had reoccuring UTI and kidney infections and never experienced this. The only thing that comes close to it is due to me having a fistula between my prostate and rectum.
Perhaps there are people who do get froth from retrograde ejeculation or UTI, however starting between 1994 to 2003, I used to come down with infections at the rate of every 3 to 4 months.

One easy thing to observe is to pay attention to the moment of ejeculation. Is semen expelled out of the penis at the sensation of ejeculation? After reaching the point of ejeculation, is semen present in your urnine. You could bring yourself to the point of ejeculation  and see if semen is expelled, if not than wait a bit and collect a urine sample in a clean container. This then can be analised to look for the presence of semen.

I hope that you will be able to find an answer to your problem.

All the best,

Ron