Urology Community
Severe Urinary Retention

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Severe Urinary Retention

Does anyone know of ANY treatment other than CIC (self-cath) that is out there besides InterStim?  I have neurogenic bladder and have tried the usual drugs (Flomax etc.)

I am very frustrated because I have to self-cath EVERY time I need to urinate, otherwise nothing will come out.  This has been going on for about 8 years.  I believe I was born with detrusor sphincter dyssynergia, but am otherwise healthy (no MS or spinal cord injury).  This complete retention has been a gradual process, I used to be able to void on my own, in small amounts, and urinated very frequently.

I would just like to know if there are any other treatments out there.  I am very sad to think I will be reliant on self-cath for the rest of my life.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Have you had any recent urodynamics testing to evaluate the cause for the deterioration in voiding?

Treatment currently available for DESD includes UroLume. This is a urethral stent that is used specifically for DESD and for other disorders with bladder outflow problems.

It is a braided mesh cylinder made up of alloy wire and can be placed in situ under local anesthesia and as an outpatient procedure.

The advantage of this treatment is that it significantly reduces complications of hydronephrosis and UTIs.

Also the procedure is minimally invasive and is reversible.

You can read more about it at the link pasted below.

http://www.acticon.com/prof_male_detail_objectname_prof_male_urolume_DESD.html

Do keep us posted.

Regards
Dr. Mathews,

Do you know if the UroLume is something women can use?

I HAVE had recent urodynamics testing and my dr. did not suggest UroLume.  I did undergo the InterStim trial, but it did nothing for me.

I am desperate to find an alternative to Intermittent Self-Catheterization and every doctor I have seen says there is nothing else out there.  

Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

There are urethral stents that have been studied for the management of DESD in women, and the results of these studies have been promising.

As far as I can ascertain, UroLume can be used for women as well, but I have no current info on this other than what is available at sites such as the following.

www.whyp.com/article4.htm

Other options include intrasphincteric injection to relieve detrusor action.

I will keep you posted on additional information in this regard within the next 2 days.

Regards
Dr. Mathews,

I have not heard back from you and was just wondering if you found anything further on alternatives to Intermittent Self-Catheterization for women (see my previous posts).

Thank you.