Urology Community
Sharp pain in left testicle and left lower back?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I'm a 25-year-old male.

I have very sharp pain in my left testicle, and left lower back about an inch above my left back dimple.

I'm meant to go to the urologist next week but I don't think I can wait. I can't bear this pain.

I was at the Emergency Department on Monday because my doctor thought I had testicular torsion. I had an ultrasound to rule it out. The ultrasound came back normal. They also did a urinalysis to rule out a UTI or bacterial infection.

The ER Doc thought I could have epididymitis, or something to do with my testicle veins that I didn't quite understand. I've googled epididymitis and it seems unlikely since most cases are linked to chlamydia and gonorrhea, neither is very feasible due a long time between when I last had sex and the onset of symptoms (plus I had the urinalysis at the ER).

The pain is VERY sharp in both the left testicle and lower back. Right now the pain has subsided and there is a dull ache in both the testicle and my back.
Additional information:

I had a physical exam at my doctor's office, at the hospital by the physician's assistant, and by the emergency room doctor.

I also have an extremely mild burning sensation when I pee. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst pain ever the pain is about a 1-2.
Additional information:

My urine came back clean from the hospital.

And the ultrasound revealed my testicles were normal.

The ER doctor thought my testicles were swollen, and I would certainly agree with that assessment.
Additional information:

The pain tends to be acute and short-lived. It can be really bad for 4-5 minutes and it usually subsides. But it recurs multiple times daily.

The ER doctor said they would normally give antibiotics to attempt to treat these symptoms; however, they did not give me any because my urine showed no bacteria and he said he would wait until I saw the urologist and let him decide if he wants to treat with antibiotics.

Besides the testicular pain I am in good health. I recently returned to the gym after taking a year off. Maybe I could have hurt myself lifting weights or doing cardio exercises. Admittedly, I did work intensely and long on cardio which I think could have potentially hurt my testicle. However, I took it easy lifting weights (mostly light weights) and I do know proper technique so I doubt I hurt myself in that way. Any pain I felt after lifting I would describe as normal muscle pains that I've experienced before.

I used to wear boxer shorts but I've switched to boxer briefs since my visit to the ER on Monday.
Additional information:

The pain has gotten progressively worse since Monday. Right now when I get the sharp pain in my testicles it rates at about an 8-9 on the 1-10 scale with 10 being the worst pain ever. It was so bad I had to stop what I was doing. I took some vicodin that had been prescribed about 6 months ago even though I know I'm not supposed to do that.

About 3 weeks ago I started getting the mild burning sensation when I urinate (mentioned above) but I figured it was just had a micro-abrasion from overdoing it at the gym since the pain is just on the tip of the urethra (most external to the body). Then last Thursday my testicles felt sore, but the pain was dull, and uneventful, it has felt that way in the past. The Friday it was a little worse. Saturday a little better. Sunday the pain was still there. Monday I had to go to the doctors because it was worse and I still had the mild burning sensation. Those two symptoms worried me.

Just a note to guys. If you ever have testicle pain that's abnormal go to the doctor IMMEDIATELY. If you have testicular torsion you've got a good chance of saving the testicle if you get treatment within 5-6 hours, the chances of saving it begin to drop drastically beyond that but the testicle can be saved up to 24 hours. But if you don't get to the doctor in time you might lose your testicle. It's very serious. When my doctor told me it was torsion on Monday I nearly fainted. I got incredibly sweaty and my vision went all white because I knew the consequences of torsion, and I know I had been living with testicular pain for 2 days already! (Thankfully I didn't have torsion and I still have my 2 boys).
Did they find epididymitis by ultrasound?
Did you test for STDs including herpes?
Do youhave any rash or lesion?
I have same problem. No swelling or red rashes only pain. Went to doctor yesterday, he did ultra sound of my abdomen and palpation, but found nothing. He gave me medicines for pain and UTI. After taking 3 doses, no relief in pain. The pain is not that strong but very irritating. It increases with touching the left testicle. I can feel mild pain in my abdomen, lower back and left leg, however, I can feel it radiates from my left testicle only.
From what I have been reading elsewere, you have a pinched nerve due to a bulging disc.