Urology Expert Forum
Sling Procedure

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Sling Procedure

I had incontinence during intercourse.  I had a sling procedure done 10 weeks ago. The right side didn't heal properly. The mesh used was exposed and I was in extreme pain. Surgery was redone. Part of the mesh was removed, area was irrigted and the original incision was resewn. The dr. said I could return to work the following day but I have not returned to work.

It's been 2 weeks I still have a fever from 99.9 - 100.5 (Normal for me is 97.6) The incision is still not completely healed and pain radiates down my right leg.  Is it normal to have a fever and be in pain? I call the dr.'s office and they say not to worry unless it gets up to 102.  I've called area dr.'s and they say it's not life threatening.  I can't walk without limping from the pain.

The vaginal walls are all cut up.  Is that correctable?
Just to be on the safe side, it may be a good idea to schedule an exam with your surgeon to ensure there is no evidence of infection.  One cannot tell complications simply by a conversation over the phone.  

The pain from the surgery typically should subside within a few weeks.  Things like infection and bleeding can lead to prolonged discomfort, and hence, should be evaluated in person.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com