Urology Expert Forum
Small lump on left testicle

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Small lump on left testicle
About ten months ago while doing a self exam I noticed a small lump on my left testicle. It is located on the front of my testicle almost at the very bottom.  Sometimes when I feel it it's about the size of a bb and sometimes it's slightly larger. The size has not changed since I first discovered it. I went to a physician tonight and after the exam he said everything felt perfectly normal but referred me to a urologist just to be sure. My question is if it was cancer would I be able to feel the lump every time I examine myself? Sometimes I feel the lump during a shower and sometimes it's not there. And sometimes I can feel it while I'm just standing around and other times I can't.
Testicular cancers are usually firm, non-tender masses.  Depending on the size of the mass, it should be able to be felt on most occurances, although this is not guaranteed.

Other possible causes would be a cyst, hydrocele or varicocele.  These type of lesions are more fluid, and thus may not always be felt.

The next appropriate step would be a scrotal ultrasound which would be a reasonable first step that is pretty comprehensive.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0