Urology Community
Smelly Urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Smelly Urine

I have been noticing my husband's urine smell change.  At first, i notice it smells bad when i get in to the bathroom, and i can smell it even i am in the kitchen or anywhere in our house.  He said he did not feel any pain or any other symptoms. What do you think he's got? If in case it's a UTI, which i think it's not, will i get it too?

Please help me since i don't have anyone to talk to aside from searching here online.

joy
Don't criticise your husband too much, or you might cause other problems.

Foods and drinks can cause urine to smell.  Asparagus has an enzyme that causes most people's pee to smell strong almost metal-like.  Coffee also can be smelt in urine.  The same is true for smell, color and taste of semen, btw.

Do some google searches on urine smell  and urine color  and urine consistency and read up on it.

From what you've described it doesn't sound like anything's wrong; just an effect of diet on urine.
Welcome to the forum!
If you are smelling it every where then definitely the odor is strong and needs to be investigated. There could be something wrong with your husband medically. Please do not ignore it.
Generally bad odor is due to infection, mainly by E coli. This can be diagnosed by urine culture. Strong fruity odor is due to uncontrolled diabetes. Urinary bladder infection and kidney infections do produce strong smelling urine. Another reason is dehydration. Strong ammonia smell is due to protein breakdown.
Give him plenty of water and see if the smell improves. Also talk to your doctor regarding these possibilities.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!