Urology Community
Smelly urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Smelly urine

I am male.

My urine has smelt for a while now. It smelt a little as far back as a year ago.

Four months ago I noticed a pus-like discharge which at the time I interpreted as semen that had been somehow left behind after sex or masturbation. I remember catching what I interpreted as flu/cold at the time and having a fever for one night. I also has a burning sensation, and the sensation of wanting to urinate again even though I has just been.

Since then, my urine smells really strongly. To the point I have to use air freshener at home, and its embarassing to use public urinals with other people around. The smell is stronger than my stools. I have not had any burning sensation again though, and I feel ok. I do ocassionally still get that feeling of having to go continuously.

For ages now I have had a problem which is my bladder never seems to empty fully. As in, theres always a few more drops, no matter how much I try to push and finish, the moment I relax and try again, more drops come out, so I almost inevitably feel a few more drops come out as I leave the toilet.

I have had anal sex ocassionally with my girlfriend, althought not in the past 4 months. I suppose E. Coli is likely?

Sounds like NGU to me. NGU is when you have bacteria present in your urethra which causes an inflammation of the urethra. It is possible to get NGU through unprotected anal sex, as there are many different types of bacteria in the rectum that can get in your urethra.

See a doctor and he'll prescribe you meds. Also, if you've had unprotected vaginal sex with your girlfriend, have her checked out b/c you might have transferred that bacteria to her urethra as well.

It's not a big deal, so don't worry.