Urology Community
Son's foreskin problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Son's foreskin problem

Not sure I'm placing this in the right place, but hope so ...

My son is 7 years old. Backgound on me is that I'm circumsized, my mother had it done quite late, as I recall because she was concerned I'd get an infection as I wasn't washing enough.

I'm concerned that my son cannot withdraw the foreskin of his penis over the glans (glands) - it used to go back but not all the way, and my wife said we'd 'keep an eye on it', but now it hardly withdraws at all. He tries, and I've tried for him although unsure how hard I can pull - I seem to recall reading that foreskins can be torn.

Is this inability normal for his age, or should I be rushing him to medical help, or what? Sorry if I sound so uninformed ...
Thanks for the post!
I can understand your concern.
“At birth, the foreskin is usually still fused with the glans (glands). As childhood progresses the foreskin and the glans (glands) gradually separate, a process that may not be complete until late puberty. Thorvaldsen and Meyhoff reported that average age of first foreskin retraction in Denmark is 10.4 years. Wright argues that forcible retraction of the foreskin should be avoided and that the child himself should be the first one to retract his own foreskin. Premature retraction may be painful, and may result in infection.” Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreskin

“After the age of 7, it is usually possible to pull the foreskin back over the head (or glans (glands)) of the penis, but in some boys this is not possible before the age of 14 or 15. So if you are 13 or 14, do not worry – this is perfectly normal.” Refer: http://www.embarrassingproblems.co.uk/penistight.htm

Hope this helps you understand things better and reduces your worry. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Not much concern really. If his forskin is not attached to his glans (glands) but simply snug or too small in diameter to slip over the glans (glands) then it should be okay for now. Some times the foreskin grows remarkably during puberty and it is later possible to retract. In some men it cannot be retracted and they say sexual intercourse is still possible and pleasureful for them. Boys that rarely get erections need to stretch their foreskins manually daily. Some
boys have a penis injury that causes a lack of or absence of erections. If he has erection problems he should be taken to a urologist.

You have received some good information. In most situations there is no need for circumcision. Even when the foreskin on a child is not retracted or so called cleaned, it does not present a problem.

The native indians did not and some still do not circumcise their males and yet there seem to be few problems. There are also some of the Indonesian tribes who don't circumcise their males, they don't seem to be too concerned about washing under their foreskins. The idea of having to constantly keep the glans (glands) clean by washing under the foreskin is a western idea.
One should also realize that in nature male animals are also not circumcised and yet we don't seem to see this presenting problems in animals.

Education must bring an end to circumcision.
Than ks for your replies, which are useful and largely putting my mind at rest. Just still a slight doubt as he says he was able to retract his foreskin half way down the glans (glands) a few months ago, and now can hardly retract it at all (he volunteered this information, I didn't ask, I guess this was what set off my concern)