Urology Expert Forum
Sore right testicle
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sore right testicle

Occasionally over the last two years, my right testicle becomes sore after sitting for long perions of time(hours).  If standing for long periods of time (hour or so) I become sore in an area to the right of my penis(this developed in the last three months).  Last November the soreness became more constant and it was treated like an infection(ultrasound revealed no cancer or torsion).  The symptoms became persistant again in April and the general physician prescribed Naproxen and to see the Urologist.  I see him in a few days.  Obviously the Naproxen has run out and until recently was able to take the over-the-counter Naproxen to keep the pain down.  It is, however, loosing its effectiveness.  Are these symptoms consistent with an infection or some other non-cancer problem.
  Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Don
Thanks for your questions.
Chronic testicular pain can have several etiologies.  Very few men will have chronic pain after a vasectomy.  A dilated vein of the cord can also cause pain. It is usually treated with the same medications you are taking now.  Surgery is rarely needed.  A cyst in the epididymis can also cause pain but again rarely needs surgery.    A hernia as you mentioned or a passing a kidney stone can have referred pain to the testicle.  A stone is more likely if there is microscopic red blood cells in the urine.  Usually voiding symptoms accompany a stone with this pain distribution.  Lastly, psychological referred pain  is also seen in urological practice and usually has many contributing  underlying stressors.  
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians