Urology Community
Split Stream Urination - Do I need to worry?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I'm not sure exactly when I started having a split stream urination "problem" but I actually just really worried about it recently.  I mean, it never really used to bother me besides the occasional mess and I used to think it was more a result of tight underwear or something.  My urine basically splits into 2 streams.  In terms of how strong or steady the flow is, it seems normal, just right to get it into the urinal or toilet.  This is the average thing because sometimes flow is stronger, sometimes weaker.  There are also times that I have difficulty starting but those times are really rare and when I mean difficulty, I mean 10-20 seconds of waiting at the very most.  And when I say waiting, there is no real exertion to urinate involved.  After I finish, it drips a little and that's it.  (I was just wondering about the dribbling thing.  What exactly does it mean?)

(Please forgive my frankness.)  Sometimes, after going through several ejaculations, I do experience a bit of pain when I urinate.  The pain doesn't usually last too long, probably a couple of minutes.  And when I urinate again, it's usually gone.

Sorry, but I'd just like to know if I should worry about any of this.  It never really bothered me until I read this article about split stream urination and its being a cause for some concern.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

See your urologist for further evaluation. The split stream in the urine, change in urinary flow, dribbling of urine may actually suggest an obstruction or structural changes in the lower urinary tract. I do not want to cause further worries but this needs to be assessed so proper management will be done.

Have you any previous history of injury o trauma to the area?

Any change in the color or character of the urine?

Do keep us posted.
Sorry, I just got back to this post now.  I haven't exactly had time to visit a urologist, unfortunately.  I'll try to see one soon.

In terms of a history of injury or trauma, none that I know of besides maybe circumcision, if that even counts.  The surgeon who performed it did cause me a bit of trouble considering that I don't think he sewed me up properly.

Changes in color or character?  Not really.  The usual clear to yellow but nothing else.

Thanks for the help thus far.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Split stream may also be caused by prostate problems.A complete assessment by your urologist may be able to help for initial evaluation.

Do keep us posted regarding your physician's advice.
most likely you are fine.  I flew to UCSF and got a full check up.  They stuck a tube into my shaft and filled it up with water and then asked me to pee out the water so they can watch the split stream in action under the XRAY machine.  Everything was ok.  They also stuck a camera thru my shaft that is the size of AAA battery.  They gave me a tour of my own bladder on the screen and everything was normal.  The only thing that was not normal is that I got an infection from the procedure.  I can tell you if you are not in pain or the split stream is really not troubling your life then, DO NOT worry about it.  The procedure to get it checked out was brutal and it was not worth it.  They told me "YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY NORMAL"  If you ever need to go thru the procedure yourselt to fulfill your curiousity, be sure to ASK FOR ANTIBOTICS PRIOR to the procedure.  ONCE AGAIN, PRIOR to the tube gets down your shaft to prevent infection!!!!  GOOD LUCK!
Mate - you are a godsend - thanks for the candid advice. I think we should all talk about these things more often but the fact that you have makes you the best bloke on the planet. Well impressed and thanks.
Hi Nick and m8889,

I have had at least three urodynamics tests and too many cystoscopies to recall.

I must agree that the fisrt cystoscopies were uncomfortable, however I now believe that this was because I got tense instead of relaxing during the procedure.

Not finding out what the cause of the problem is can come back to trouble you later.

When you go in for a cystoscopy, you will need to be relaxed as much as possible.
Most people are afraid  by the idea of leaking urine or urinating during the procedure. With that in mind they tense up on the sphyncters during the procedure. Doing tihs causes pain and potential problems later, in the form of discomfort to light bleeding, as was the case with my very first cystoscopy. I wish that I would have known then what I know now.

Coming out of the procedure being told that you are fine, does not allways mean that they did not miss something. In my case it was the urodynamics tests that showed what the real problem was.

The split stream of urination in the case where you are circumcised might indicate a change in the urinary meatus. Anything higher up in the urethra cannot be the cause of the split stream. Being an uncircumcised male myself, I had allways been thaught to retract the foreskin during urination. If I retract the skin to far, the urine stream will be wide and at times does split into two streams. The other problem that I have noticed is the fact that no matter what I do, once I think all urine has been expelled, a few drops come out once returned into my underwear.

I had surgery to remove an obstruction at the bladderneck and prostate, and was later idagnosed with a neurogenic bladder.

Prior to all the surgery, I too used to expereince some pain while urinating shortly after ejeculation. After the resection of the bladderneck and prostate, I no longer noted any discomfort shorty after the sensation of ejeculation. Because the surgery can do some damage to the sphyncter into the bladder, I ended up with retrograde ejeculation. Instead of semen being discharged from the penis, the ejeculate ended up going into the bladder.
After several years of not really ejeculating, I once again was able to feel the normal sensation of ejeculation and some semen was expelled during ejeculation.
I believe that the discomfort one feels shortly after ejeculation and urinating is most likely caused by the shynctor involved in the ejeculation process is still partly contracted from the ejeculation. This sphyncter closes the route of ejeculation to prevent the ejeculate from ending up in the bladder. When I first had my surgery, for many years semen ended up in my bladder and was eliminated later during urination. Once the sphyncter partialy healed again, I ended up with the sensation of discomfort while urinating shortly after ejeculation.

I agree that the diagnostic procedures can be uncomfortable, however it did show that I had a neurogenic bladder. The difference is that I used to come down with UTI, kidney infections, epididymitis and orchitis at the rate of every 3 to 4 months. Once I started to self cath to ensure that the bladder was empty, the infection rate has been cut down to about once or twice a year.

Not knowing what the problem is can have negative outcomes.

God bless,

Ron
I saw this old forum listing where you mentioned that u were diagnosed with neurogenic bladder problem. Can u share how it was diagnosed, what were the main symptoms and the treatment presscribed and what has been the progress. I can be reached at ***@****
i notice that since i matured i was unable to last longer on woman and i discovered that when i urinate, my urine splits into two its bothering me. Pls is that urine that causes the premature ejaculation for me and pls is there any solution to it  
I have the same problem of urine split, burning after ejaculation and premature ejaculation, waiting before urinating and after for the dripping. I have greater frequency of urination and have to get up during the night to. Am sensitive to cold and frequency increases when my body gets cold specially my feet. Have gone thru number of tests including I V P x-rays, ultrasounds blood/urine etc but nothing was diagnosed. Kidneys, bladder, urinary track etc are all normal. However, the problem stays there and at times bothers specially when I can have one go sleep at night.
I also have noticed the split, pain trying to urinate after ejaculation and drops after urinating. But i've never gone for check up cos i realy don't know what to think. Should i be worried??