Urology Community
Staph in Urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Staph in Urine

Having worked in the medical proffesion on a lesser level(Nurses assistant and other) I am concerned about the results of my urinary culture. I was positive for Staph, one that was resistant to pennicillim, but treatable with levaquin. It is resistant to ampicillin, though my primary care doctor says it was also treatable with oxycillin. She says that it is not MRSA not to worry, but everything I am reading about makes me think I should still worry.  That it being staph, which I know is somewhat normal, only about 5% of uti's are staph, it may still be difficult to get under control. I am seeing a urologist and he insists that it is impossible for it to be MRSA. He is going to do another culture five days after I finish the levaquin. I had a ct scan done of my kidneys and lower abdomen and there were no stones and everything was textbook. Should I be as concerned as I am? I have children, elderly family and friends who have weakened immune systems due to chronic health problems. Four days into the levaquin I still have the kidney/back pain, its far better than it was to begin with, I was in tears before. Should I worry about the staph being elsewhere in my systems?  (They didn't specify which staph)
Tags: urine, staph, MRSA