Urology Expert Forum
Stent Placement

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Stent Placement
I am preparing to have kidney stones removed via a scope.  My Doc has placed a stent to dialate the ureter so the stones can be reached and broken up with the lazer.  The stent is internal.  Am I restricted from sex while the stent is in place?  Thank you,  William
According to various patient information guides I have seen, there should little restriction to sex when the stent is in place.  Few patients experience discomfort during sexual activities.  Occasionally, the side effects from the stent reduce sexual desire.   If the thread from the stent comes through your urethra, sex can be difficult.  Care should be taken so the stent isn't dislodged.

I would discuss this further with your personal physician before partaking in sexual activities with the stent in place.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
0
0
A related discussion, Why is stand up so painful with a stent in place? was started.