Urology Expert Forum
Stent problems during pregnancy

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Stent problems during pregnancy

I'm a 27 yo female and in week 22 of my first pregnancy.  At 20 weeks, I woke up with pain in my right kidney area. After the pain increased over a few days, I went to the doctor and was admitted to the hospital. I was seen by a urologist who said that my right kidney was enlarged, but that he couldn't tell if it was a stone because a stone couldn't be detected on the scan, and since I couldn't have x rays during pregnancy, stone diagnosis wasn't possible. He said the only other explanation was that the fetus was crimping my ureter as it grew, and the only way to fix this was to insert a stent. I agreed to the procedure, but now regret it.

Since the stent was inserted, I have had bloody urine, an incredible urge to pee all the time (I can't take two steps away from the toilet before feeling that I need to go back to it, and even then I only have a few drops), and a pain/sensitivity feeling that racks my body for a few seconds every time I do urinate. Walking or any type of movement exacerbates the feeling so I try to lay down as much as possible. I went back to the doc a week later and asked that the stent be removed. He took a urine sample and said that I had a bladder infection from the stent and that was what was causing most of the symptoms, gave me antibiotics, and refused to take the stent out.  

After returning to England (I'm military stationed here and was in Germany when all this started) I went to my doctor. He was very concerned about the blood still present in my urine and about the pain, so he sent me to another urologist. This one seemed sympathetic at first and told me he would remove the stent the next day. However, after taking blood and urine samples, he said everything was normal (despite blood in the urine) and told me that the risk of losing my kidney was too great and he would not remove the stent. He told me to have my GP monitor my blood platelet count every so often but that I would have to deal with the other symptoms until the stent could be removed after birth.

I know these are all medical professionals, but it just doesn't seem right that I should still have blood in my urine and painful urination. The original uro said that blood was normal after a stent insertion for up to the first week after. I'm going on 3 weeks now. The bladder agitation is still present and makes it hard for me to do my job and daily errands. I'm at my wits end and don't think I can endure this anymore. What if it was a stone and has passed by now? Couldn't the stent be removed? If the baby continues to move during the pregnancy, I don't understand how it could just continuously lie on the ureter and block it off.

I am hesitant to accept what the uros have told me. I have never had any health problems in the past esp. with kidneys. The blood/pain in urination scares me and I am worried about the effects on my baby, including stress from my distress and I feel that my concerns are being ignored.
It is difficult to give concrete recommendations without examination of the records.  

It is certainly possible that a stone has passed.  One imaging study that may be helpful would be an ultrasound, which may be able to visualize any stone.  

This can also determine if the kidney enlargement is still present - and if it has resolved, then removing the stent may be a possibility.  

It goes without saying that common things like a bladder infection should be evaluated for via a urinalysis and urine culture.

Another urologist opinion is recommended, and discussion of whether a kidney ultrasound is of benefit should be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
http://www.straightfromthedoc.com