Urology Expert Forum
Stent

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Stent

Just had stones removed and stent has been in since 8/28. Will have stent removed 9/5. How do they do this? there is no string. Will they have to go way in again? how much will this hurt?
Typically stent removal is an office procedure where an instrument is inserted through the urethra to remove the stent.  General anesthesia is used for this procedure.

The discomfort would vary from patient to patient, but in general, this is a fairly routine event.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A couple of years ago, I had a stent in my ureter for a few weeks. On the x-rays, my urologist pointed out that the stent had a tiny hook at the tip. When it was time to remove it, it was a simple out-patient procedure. I was under general anesthesia for about 30 minutes. I was told they go in through your urethra and just grab the hook of the stent and pull it out. I awoke in the recovery room, where they wouldn't let me leave till I proved I could urinate on my own. I don't remember any pain or complications, but your mileage may vary.
A related discussion, blood in pee was started.