Urology Expert Forum
Stomach pains / bloody urine

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Stomach pains / bloody urine

I just noticed that when I had gone to the bathroom, I had blood in what I believe to be my urine (I had been sitting down, but from the area I believe it came from the urine).  I had been having dull, constant pains in my upper stomach for the past couple of days, and have had other various symptoms over the past year but doctors have been able to find anything (headaches, muscle twitches, burning sensations especially on my arms and legs, and most recently a lump in the back portion of my neck that my doctor said was probably a sebaceous cyst).

The stomach pains had sort of been off and on for maybe 2 months, but nothing so bad that it worried me.  But about two days ago I began to have the pains pop up, and they just didn't seem to go away.  They are not very severe, and in fact they almost feel like I am bloated, and have gas.  But I have not been eating much, and not going to the bathroom much either (and don't seem to have symptoms of just gas).  I was going to probably just wait it out, but I happened to go to the bathroom, and for some reason happened to look down and saw a red streak of what I assume to be blood where I believe I had been urinating.

Do you have any idea what all this could be?  I'm worried now, because it just can't be normal to have bloody urine (and I've never had this problem before).  To repeat, the stomach pains have been pretty constant for about 2-3 days now, and it is mainly just constant pressure in the upper portion of my stomach.  I could understand if I had bloody stool because of the stomach pains, but why would I have blood in my urine along with this pain?  Please help, thank you.
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Bloody urine (hematuria) always needs to be worked up.  Possibilities include any type of genitourinary infection, a kidney stone, kidney disease, or any type of genitourinary cancer.  The risk of cancer increases with age.

To work this up, you have already had a urinalysis.  However, more tests are needed, since you saw gross blood.  To evaluate for any masses, an IVP (intravenous pyelogram) or cystoscopy should be considered with consultation from a urologist.  

As for the stomach pains, there are several possibilies as well.  They can include the various forms of dyspepsia (including an ulcer, inflammation of the esophagus or stomach, or GERD), to gall bladder disease.  I would start with an upper GI series to evaluate for any ulcers, hiatal hernias or GERD.  Further testing with an upper endoscopy or ultrasound can be considered as well.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
0
0
0
0
0