Urology Community
Stopping Allopurinol & Hydrochlorothiazide???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Has anyone ever stopped Allopurinol and Hydrochlorothiazide?  I had a rather large staghorn kidney stone about 2 years ago and I was tested and placed on these two medications.  I started having very low B12 levels and I asked my Urologist if the Allopurinol could be causing this?  I was having to take two B12 shots a month just to stay feeling well and cognitive.  He said, it was rare but he didn't have a problem trying to get off of it.  He told me to stop taking the Allopurinol for three months and then stop the Hydrochlorothiazide for a few days before retesting with a 24 hour urine test.  My question is, how often does this problem correct itself and what are the odds that I will be able to stop taking the meds?  I am taking several medications for various problems and want to not have to take all of this.  However, the pain of that stone makes me not want to go through it again.  Has anyone had this problem and be able to stop needing the meds?  I do have a family history of stones but none had one as big a mine and with two problems (uric acid and calcium oxalate).  I am to take this test in a few days and again I am just eager to hear of anyone who has been able to sucessfully stop needing them.  Thank you, for responding.