Urology Community
Strained penis muscle/ligament? Damage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Strained penis muscle/ligament? Damage?

About 8 days ago I awoke in the middle of the night with a painful erection (first time I have experienced this)
In the days that followed, I tried to asess the situation myself:

The pain recurs mostly during/whilst developing erections but sometimes also depending on movements ie) when excersizing/jogging etc.. The area is very sensitive and mastubating would clearly bring more pain..

The location of the pain is on the top side, at the base of the penis running up the shaft about an inch.

My initial thoughts were that this was some sort of vain rupture,blockage or trauma.

I went to my GP who examined me and suggested that it was most likely the result some minor muscle damage inside the penis as a result of a prolonged erection or slight trauma. I was prescribed Difrene as a pain-killer/antiinflammaory and told it would resolve itself.

The problem seemed to be getting better but now in the last two days I have become more aware of it again. I have not masterbated for fear of further aggrivating the situation

It was quite hard to present this to the GP as it is mostly prevailing when either erect, or developing an erection. When I examine the penis in this state, I can feel a slightly enlarged ligament? in the area (well what feels like a ligament running up the penis to the right of the centre)

Does this sound like anything you would be familiar with? Do you think the GP's assessment is correct and it is most likely superficial damage that will heal over a week or two?

Many thanks for your help. I am 28 years old by the way

Trevor
Tags: penis
I'm having similiar pain mine starts at the pubic region and runs about half way up the shaft.  It feels like a tight artery, and gets worse when erect or during masturbation.  I just noticed it a day ago and i just started working out again so i'm hoping this isn't something  major, and that it will just resolve itself.
mine started about 2 weeks ago. It has got somewhat better but has not gone altogether. Some times it is worse than others. I have taken anti-inflammatories/painkillers which seem to help and have not masturbated to rest the area. I dont think it is something major as it has started to get alittle better, not worse.

Has there been any change in yours? have you seen a GP or urologist?
Mine doesn't hurt as bad as it did, but its still there.  I have had it about 3 days and i do believe that it is a ligament just as your explaining.  It starts near my pubic area and goes like an inch up.   Its like a visible tight ligament and i can see it go 3/4 of the way up the middle of my penis when it is erect.  I haven't masturbated since because i want to give it time to heal up.  I have never had a problem like this.  I think it happened maybe because of overuse, doing it to hard, or working out lower abs.  I dont think its anything major or it wouldn't seem to be getting better.  I haven't seen a GP yet, but if it ever gets worse or doesn't go away after a long period of time i will have to.  Let me know if you find anything else out. Good luck
Sounds pretty similar alright.

I will,  you too. Thanks and good luck
Is yours visible like I explain?
It is visible when erect or getting an erection-looks kind of like an enlarged vein or something, however it's pretty hard to tell as I didn't exactly study the area before. So to answer your question yes it is visible but not hugely visible..

Do you have any other symptoms you believe could be associated  with this?

Does yours hurt when not erect at all? Mine sometimes hurts when running or cycling or something like that. Also hurts when I pull back the foreskin when not erect.

I think if you decide to go to a doctor, I would recommend going direct to a urologist- A GP will not necessarily know what is going on and would just refer you on. A urologist knows that part of the body very well and would be able to diagnose with more assurance.

Mine is starting to get a little better but is still visible from pubic area and goes about 1 inch up. It still seems like a sensitive area.  If i'm moving around alot sometimes a certain movement will hurt it for a second or two. As far as symptoms besides the tightness and pain I just seem to have to urinate more often, but thats probly because i have been drinking alot of fluids.  I have noticed some healing, so for right now i'm just going to continue not to masturbate and see what happens over the weekend.
Hi Victor
Hope things are progressing with you. I dont mean to alarm you but my sitaution has changed slightly. I have not masturbated and think that has helped rest the problem as that has died down somewhat.However the last few nights i have experieced a dull ache/pain in my testicles and around the edge of my scrotum where it meets my thighs. Im sure it must be connected and seems to me possibly a blood flow issue or something. I am going to see my GP again today- i already explained symptoms over the phone.

How are you getting on? I hope better but would still be interested in comparing notes.

Last Saturday I woke up to a very painful erection. When I felt it I noticed a knot on the base of my penis on top, right in front of the pevic area. It hurt the rest of the day and I could feel the knot (not as big). It felt like a painful tighting on the top of the penis. The only thing that I can think of that might have cause this is the night before I was having sex with my wife and she was on top riding me pretty hard and she jerked down and back really hard. It didnt hurt at the time though. Then in a few days it seemed not to hurt as bad. Then we were having oral sex in the 69 position with her on top. When I was on my back and my penis was erect and laying on my stomach I didnt have any pain but when she lifted my penis to put it in her mouth a pain shot through me.  I let it rest the next day and thought it was doing better. Then the next day we were having oral sex again and it did the same thing. I can maintain an erection without pain as long as its not moved and is laying against my body. My ejaculate is normal.It's been a week ago tomorrow since this happened and it hasn't gotten any better. Every time I have an erection it hurts and I have the knot at the base of my penis. I plan on going to the urologist after the holiday weekend. Have either of you gotten any better since last post. I'll update what my urologist said next week. Thanks
hi

It is almost 3 weeks now for me and over the past few days i have noticed it get better. All i have been taking for this particular issue has been painkillers and antiinflammatories. However I have been resting the area. I would suggest that you do too, to promote any natural healing.  I would guess it would take longer if you kept up sex, masturbation etc.. so thats my only advice.

Do keep us updated on the urologist's report, i have made an appointment to see one also but not for a week or two. It does seem though that different doctors have different views on these so be sure to share yours and ill keep you posted also. THanks
Would you mind posting updates on your condition, and current situation please gentlemen? Many Thanks
I haven't gone to the urologist yet and I have noticed that I have been getting better. It doesn't hurt like it did, I do however feel like it is tight when I have an erection. I don't have the full mobility back and when I have sex I have to be very careful. I still have the knot as well. I'm hoping to see the doctor in the next week or so. How is your situation?

I still have mine, some days its not do bad some days worse. I am on my second set of antibiotics that the urologist gave me for a period of 4 weeks. Hopefully this should sort this out- I actually had a few other symptoms associated with this (or so thinks the urologist) so i am being treated as such. I would advise you do see a urologist to get an opinion
I have an appointment this Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for that. Good luck with it and a bit of advice: be sure to question everything your urologist says! If you dont think he has got it  right or it doesnt sound right to you do make this known!  As I said before different urologists can have completely different thoughts on conditions so you have to ensure he understands you completely. good luck and i look forward to hearing how things went
He said that it was a thrombose sp? vein which basically is a clot in the vein (not like a blood clot that can kill you). He said that only time will take care of it. He suggested that a warm compress might help break it up. I'll try that for awhile and see what happens. What did your urologist say?
I think that sounds accurate enough. If it is a thrombosed vein then it will id imagine certainly clear up over time, so thats good news.

My situation is a bit different now as i have had other symptoms over the last week and a half, namely pains in my abdomin (abdomen), inner thighs near my scrotum and sometimes even in my testicles. The urologist says it may or may not be related to the penis pain. He thinks the otehr symptoms suggest possible prostatitis which kind of sucks..

The "vein pain on my penis is pretty much gone now, only maybe 10% of what it was. It has been 5 weeks so i think and hope it will be comepletely gone after 6.  I would say 4-6 weeks doing what your urologist suggested as well as taking anti-inflammatories and restraining from too much masturbation and you shoule be fine.

How long has yours been? I presume you dont have any other symptoms like the ones I mentioned above?
Yesterday I dry humped my girl friend that i havent seen in over a month and I think i did it too hard. I woke up the next morning to find that penis had a lilttle bump in it near the tip looks like a hardened vein or something... I havent masturbated yet but i did try lol but it hurts so i stopped. I'm icing it right now and we'll see how it goes. Its only been two days and the pain seems to be subsiding but the bump is still there. Does anyone find that it took a little longer to get a perfect erection? (This is what is scaring the living **** out of me).

I am a 19 year old male and I am very healthy but I am a smoker
dang.

EXACT match for what I've been trying to sort out, woke up, painful erection, hard "vein" under the visible vein, mine was tight all the way up to the head of the penis and around the sides in spots but i've been thinking it's blood flow, and i bet its thrombosis.

6 WEEKS!?

omg, i didnt masturbate for 3 days (doing so again helped me notice the exact symptoms which brought me here though) and i thought that was hell.

BUMMER
dang.

6 WEEKS!?

BUMMER
dear jay funk , my story is almost the same as urs , 4 days ago i wokeup in the morning with an almost extremely painful erection ,it hurt wen i masterbaited and on the top at the base if i put pressure where itherts i can feel a ligiment, i cant help but to masterbait n i did b4 i typed this , iwarn u now when u ejaculate it feels good and extremely painful at the same time i hope its nothing serious because i already have to get sergery (surgery) for a hernia , by the way im 20

I have the same type of problem that you are talking about. I started to feel this after masturbating for few days. and it continued for several weeks now. I tried to treat it with antibiotics but it didn't help. I did urine and blood lab tests but there was no sign for infection.

I will describe the symptoms that I feel:
pain in the penis that come and go, mostly at the tip of the penis and I can feel it more if I press with my fingers at the ending of the penis in an effort to locate the exact location of the pain, frequent urine - more then normal, frequent need to **** in order to release pressure, constant construction of the pelvic muscles, pressure when I sit on the chair for a long time, vogue pain on the left side of the buttock when I sit, sometime sour sensations in the rectum after I ****, etc.
I suspected that this connected to the nerves system projecting a pain that comes from somewhere in the pelvic.

I also sensed that I have a reflex reaction of one of the pelvic muscles when I get aroused after watching a porn movie while masturbating. I think that this muscles react to the sensations of the masturbating in order to prevent the semen and/or urine and/or prostate liquid to come out. I suspected that this constant construction of the pelvic muscle cause a nerve pain that somehow projects to the area.

So as I wrote, antibiotics didn't cure it. I noticed the following helped:
1. trying to sit less as possible on the chair.
2. do more exercise like walking, running, etc.
3. do Yoga or any other stretching that will improve flexibility.
4. avoid masturbating or watching porn for a while until it gets relaxed.

I also found some useful resources at:
http://www.pelvicpainhelp.com/physical_therapy.php

I'll keep you updated.
I have had some issues lately with my erections. There was a slight hurting sensation but now I am having a hard time getting and maintaining an erection without helping it. I don't think it's erectile disfunction because there is something on the muscle underneath, it feels like a tear and there is a tingling feeling. I haven't been sexually active, and stopped masturbating now to see if that helps, so far i have a little feeling, but still no progress. So I wanted to ask if anyone knows anyithing similar or at least tell me what I can do. I am looking into talking to my doctor. But please give me some advice. Should i put Ice on it or something else?
I have has this problem as well. I had taken some Levitra before sex with my wife. I was behind like doggy style when I pulled out too far. On re-entry I pretty much bent my penis. Wow, did that hurt. We continued but I could get my mind of the pain. I think I almost cried it freakin hurt so bad. I had no bleeding in the urine but a knot was noticeable almost all the way around the top part of the penis about midway down the shaft. It has been about 4 weeks and there is still a knot but doesn't really hurt in that spot until erection. I am still not able to get a full erection like before the injury but I can tell it has gotten better. After reading some comments, I am feeling better that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I sure as hell don't want to have a malfunctioned penis.
I have had this for about 10 days. I was working/strecthing and kneeling in and awkward position when using mastick along the bath edge. Normally, it's OK, but if you get hard, generally, it's ok, but if you 'Twitch' it, there is a dull ache just below/left of the Scrotum. I reckon it's a mild Groin Strain and best to leave it be for a while. It's not got worse, and I can forget it, but if I have sex, then the concern of the pain is there and one may be put off a bit and down it will go down to the dismay of the girlfriend, but giving it the occasional 'work-out' can enhance it somewhat. No peeing prob's and erection is normal and it stays put for quite sometime. I am 58. I don't post usually, but this is just a breif blog. GL all.
I have the same problem mine started hurting right after sex in the left base of the penis theres no bumps or scares it just a dull pain thats been hurting fror days after i dont know whats rong
i feel your pain mate i think i have the same problem its really hurts and i cant have sex it frustrating me  i need to go get it check out
I've been having this vein on the left side next to my penis n balls n it's been hurting the past few days it feels like the whole veinis swollenn hurting all on the left side about an inch n a half of pain sore when touched any clue what this is
hi there I have been having problems like you have described pain around the base of the penis that feels like a swollen tendon or something. are u better and what was done to help you ?
hi there I have been having problems like you have described pain at the base of shaft in pubic area feels like a hard tendon or something if I push on it to feel it .it started about 4 days ago when I woke I had a semi erection with pain hurts all the time but worse when waking , when I set down or stand I feel it worse. are u better and what was done to help you ?
any updates?
to all,
I have seen a urologist and was diagnosed with Peyronies disease. This is a scarring due to trauma to the penis area. I am being traeted with pentoxifylline  and transdermal cream (all prescription).
5 days ago my girlfriend gave me an aggressive hand job, she pulled my **** really hard and tugged it, at the time felt good. However that night I woke up 3 times with excruciating pain in my penis and an erection, if I get an erection it's very very painful sex and masturbation is extremely painfully, i wake up 5 times with painful erections and standing up with and erection is terribly painful the weight of my penis pulls down and causes IMENSE pain at the base of my penis and under my gooch, my penis constantly feels warm as if it's filled with blood I guess that's the body trying to repair damage. Wearing tight underwear seems to help as my penis can't swing and pull down causing pain. Do you guys think it's just torn muscle fibers? Thanks
Sam