Urology Community
Strange Sediment in Urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Strange Sediment in Urine

For the past two or so weeks, everytime I pee there is heavy sediment, almost like mucas in my urine. I have a spinal cord injury, so I use an indwelling cath with a plug. The sediment is so think it clogs up the cathater. It's not an urinary tract infection, I know this for sure. There are no other symptoms and even when I drink a lot of water it does not go away. I've also tried taking my cath out for a few days and changing it and again, this does nothing to help. Any suggestions besides going to a urologist (I'm having insurance problems right now)?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I have a few questions:

Are you male or female?

What has caused your spinal cord injury?

Any other associated symptoms aside from what you have posted?

This sediment that you have noticed, is this clear in appearance?

Is this gel like in consistency or does this harden?

This may be mucus plug and may be usually experienced during prolonged catheter use. Take at least 8 to 10 glasses of water everyday to help prevent this unless you have an underlying kidney or congestive heart problem .Are you doing this? Avoid constantly replacing the catheter as this may encourage infectious complications. When doing so in the case of an obstruction or pain, always observe proper sterile techniques.

I suggest that you ask your primary physician about proper catheter irrigation procedure.Flushing the catheter from time to time may help prevent mucus or sediment development.
Hi, I am female and my SPI was the result of a diving accident 10 years ago. There are no other symptoms, just the mucas. Actually, now that I think about it, it's more like tissue, white and stringy. I've tried drinking more water, but it doesn't seem to matter, the tissue is still there and doesn't lessen. I have a cath irragation kit which I use when it gets plugged up, but I've never had a problem like this in the 10 years I've been using caths, so the sudden appearance of such thick sediment concerned me. It just started happening almost overnight. When I change my cathater, it seems better the first two days or so, then it goes back to the way it was. Thank you for any help you can give me.
I was recently diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. Im also having blood pressure problems and so on. My doctor has me doing urine catches to check out the adrenal cortex. I too have noticed sediment in my urine but its lots!!! of pieces and it looks like hard sediment. Ive been recieving "DMSO" treatments past 2 weeks for the interstitial cystitis and it includes using a catheter. Im also diabetic, I assumed it could be proteins in my urine...again. Ive certainly never noticed it before. I hope you find out what it is. I'm curious what different things it could mean. I'll let u know if it relates to what u have going on. I too have lumbar and cervical issues of the spine. I'm sorry u need to use a catheter so reguarly. I would hate to think I had to use a catheter everyday. My weekly treatments for the next 6 weeks is all I can manage. Kudos to you.!

I'm very sorry to hear about your issue. Have you tried consulting catheter distributer 180Medical for advice about sediment buildup? Not only do the offer a wide range of catheter products, but I also found them very useful in answering any questions I had concerning similar matters.

Hope this helps!
i have been an SCI for 33 years and only occasionally have a great deal of sediment (the urine looks extremely cloudy, and if it sits overnight when i can't get out of bed, the sediment goes to the bottom) if i have a kidney infection.

depending on your level of injury (i'm t-6) i urge you to try intermittent cath.  it's kind of a hassle but i had terrible problems with an indweling like you are using now.

i also suggest that you see a urologist as soon as you can.