Urology Community
Strange ongoing symptoms
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Strange ongoing symptoms

For about 8 months my 8 year old daughter has complained a couple days a week about abdominal pain.  She would say her stomach hurt and would ask for a Tums.  I'd give her one and she seemed to be fine.  I thought at first maybe it was acid reflux or nervous stomach as she does get stressed somewhat easily.  But then when it started to become an almost daily thing recently and said that the Tums weren't working, I asked her to show me exactly where the pain was.  She pointed to her central lower abdomen below where her stomach is.  I took her to the doctor today since this has become a daily complaint and is starting to interfere with her being able to accomplish her work at school.  The doctor said that the pain is in the area of her bladder and did a urine test.  It came back "borderline" he said for a possible UTI but said that he needed to send it to the lab for a full work up and gave her antibiotics in the meantime.  She has had one UTI before and it was nothing like this.  She had a fever and severe pain/burning when urinating and was completely miserable.  With what she has now, other than the abdominal pain she has not had any other symptom like burning or pain when urinating or fever.  Her temperature today was completely normal.  I find it hard to believe that the cause of her problem is a simple UTI when it has been ongoing and worsening for months but she has not had the "usual" symptoms of burning/pain when urinating or fever.  The only other symptom I can think of is bedwetting...she will wet the bed if we don't get her up to use the bathroom at night but she has been this way her whole life.  She just does not wake up to use the bathroom as she is a very deep sleeper.  She used to have some trouble during the day until she was about 7 with what seemed to be a "small bladder"....she couldn't hold her urine as long as most other kids, but she didn't have any pain or burning or any discomfort when urinating and the abdominal pain only started in the last year.  What could be causing her symptoms other than a UTI and if she does have a UTI, is there something else other than it that could be causing the symptoms and making her susceptible to it?  I just don't buy it's a simple UTI when this has been going on for months, getting worse, but she doesn't display the usual symptoms of a UTI and they aren't like the syjmptoms of the one she had when she was 5.