Urology Expert Forum
Strep and Kidney ?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Strep and Kidney ?

I have had strep throat twice this year already. I cant ever remember getting it in the past. I am 42yrs old and considered in very good health. Back in January I had it and went on antibiotics right away. Cleared up in 2-3days...I came down with viral conjuctivitis 2 weeks ago. 2 days later my throat was red and killing me...I figured it was just the virus traveling as my stomach was ill a few days after that. Eye and stomach improved as well as my throat but my throat still remained slightly red and sore. Finally after 11 days I went and had a culture done of my throat and it came back positive for strep !!! Augmentin 875/125 now for 10 days...Throat is back to normal after 3 days on Augmentin but.....Started with some urinating urgency one day then urinating like crazy the following day so I went to local walkin and they did the "dip" urine test and said everything was normal except "trace" of blood in urine...Hmmm...Now I am waitng for further lab results..I asked doctor if the strep had any relation and he said "you have no other symptoms" so NO !! I believe otherwise and am worried as heck...Any feedback would be great......
Tags: kidney
There are many reasons for blood in the urine.  You have been appropriately treated for the infection with the antibiotics.

There is always the possibility of post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis.  Examining the urine sediment under the microscope can be done to evaluate for this  possibility, as well as serial monitoring of the kidney function.

If the blood continues, evaluation for a kidney stone as well as possible cystoscopy can be considered as well.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
0
A related discussion, Strep b in semen was started.