Urology Community
Stress Incontinence

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Stress Incontinence

I had a severe spinal injury 4 years ago.  I suffer from stress incontinence and leak urine when there is abdominal pressure from coughing, sneezing, changing position in a seat, walking etc.  The bladder does not voluntarily contract and emptying the bladder involves sitting down and contracting the abdominal muscles to push urine past the spincter, which does not automatically open. I am able to fully empty the bladder in this fashion.

I do not leak at night and am fully continent for several hours in the morning.  Later on in the day/evening urine leaks more and more.  It does not make sense to me why I am fully continent at night and in the morning irrespective of how full the bladder is, and why it gets much worse as the day goes on. Why is this?