Urology Expert Forum
Sudden rise in PSA

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Sudden rise in PSA

Now I am worried.. Our doctor just called to inform me that my husband's PSA jumped from 1.4 a year ago to 13.  He is making an appointment with a urologist as I write this.. Is there any significance in the rapid rise??  What is the likelihood that this is cancer? Are there any other logical explanations for the rise?? He is 64, and has VERY bad lungs..not even sure how much surgery they will allow him to undergo.. I really don't want to break this news to my husband.. Can you give me any input?  Thank you so much, in advance..
Followup with your personal physician is essential.

There are several causes for an elevated PSA.  Of course prostate cancer is one of them.  However, before jumping to that conclusion, you have to consider other diseases.  

The major causes of an elevated serum PSA concentration include:

- Benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Prostate cancer
- Prostatic inflammation
- Perineal trauma

The most common explanation for an elevated serum PSA is BPH because of the very high prevalence this condition in men over the age of 50 - BPH produces more PSA per gram than normal prostate tissue.

Prostatitis is also an important cause of an elevated PSA. Thus, many physicians will treat a man with an elevated serum PSA for prostatitis and then obtain a repeat serum PSA; a return of the PSA to normal is expected if prostatitis was solely responsible.

Any perineal trauma can increase the serum PSA.  Mechanical manipulation of the prostate by cystoscopy, prostate biopsy, or TURP can also significantly affect the serum PSA.

Follow-up with a urologist is essential.  There are diseases other than cancer that can elevate PSA and these need to be evaluated.  

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
0