Urology Community
Super pubic catheter vs. Foley catheter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Super pubic catheter vs. Foley catheter

I am a quadriplegic and my accident was 20 years ago. I have used a Foley catheter all these years and had frequent urinary tract infections and bladder stones. Now my urologist suggests getting the super pubic catheter. What are the pros and cons to the super pubic catheter and in your opinion why should I change to the super pubic.

Having a supra pubic catheter has had the following problem for me. With the catheter being blow the belly button can cause discomfort with the waist band of pants being in the area of the catheter. There also is the problem with discharge from the catheter.

In 2008 after it was discovered that I have a fistula between my rectum and prostate, a urologist put in a urethral catheter in the hope that there would be spontanuous healing. After about a year this was changed to a supra pubic to minimise movemt of the urethra.

Having the supra pubic even with the problems of the waist band in pants has given me less discomfort than the urethral catheter. Also the UTI rate has gone down. I'm not sure as to why the infection rate is less.

You should ask the urologist to explain as to why he or she thinks that a supra pubic catheter should benefit you. If I had to go through this again, I most likely would not have opted for the supra pubic even though it has less discomfort. The urethral catheter I can change myself as for the supra pubic it is slightly harder to change.
I should also mention that I have a neurogenic bladder and used to self cath. Now I get the catheter changed every 10 weeks.

All the best.

Ron