Urology Expert Forum
Surgery in fetus / bladder's drain

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Surgery in fetus / bladder's drain

Posted by Fabian on May 08, 1999 at 17:26:20
My syster's fetus had a problem urinating (she has 22 weeks pregnancy) and the doctors said that they should introduce a catheter into the urinary tract to let the bladder drain and avoid further problems since they already checked that his kidneys are working OK. They realized about this problem because his bladder was oversized. According to the doctors, this is the first case here in Argentina, and as far as they know, there are only 7 cases registered in the US, and the quirurgycal intervention was successful in all of them. Now, this special catheter (which is currently used in cardiovascular surgeries) was already ordered, and it's coming from Detroit.
This surgery is quite urgent since the quantity of amniotic liquid is quite low, and so, the fetus is not being able to develop its lungs properly. This means also that the amount of oxygen the fetus is getting is lower than the normal values. Could this also affect to his normal brain development? What other cosequencies could it bring to the fetus development? Is there any information about the quality of life of these 7 children after being borned?

Posted by HFHS M.D.-AK on May 10, 1999 at 17:52:08
Dear Fabian,
The widespread use of prenatal ultrasound results in a increased recognition of fetal bladder distention and hydronephrosis.  The technology of today now makes fetal intervention possible and presents us with the situation you are now faced with.
I did a literature search on the quirurgycal intervention and was unable to find a response.  I also asked the chairman of OB/GYN if he knew what this was in reference to.  He didn