Urology Expert Forum
Swelling/infection of testicles

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Swelling/infection of testicles

After my son's circumcision, he had adhesions which attached the skin to the head of his penis.  The Dr. said this was a common
  condition.  She broke them away and the result was that night my son's scrotum swelled to alarming proportions and he had a high fever.  We rushed him to a urologist, who administered antibiotics. By the following morning the swelling was greatly reduced, and the fever down.  My question is, will this cause my son to be sterile and how would you test him to find out.  My son is now 4 years old and some of the adhesions are back.  Another pediatrician said the condition would resolve itself and leave it alone.  I wish I had, and that would be my advice to other parents if infection is a complication.

_
Dear Kathy,
Reattachment of the penile shaft skin to the glans penis (head of the penis) does occur and is a complication of circumcision. Usually these attachments (adhesions can be easily pulled down shortly after the procedure without harm. Your son sounds to have developed a skin infection as a result. He was properly diagnosed and treated as this uncommon occurrence could have progressed further. Often the surgically related adhesions (as opposed to the natural, or