Urology Community
Swollen, Itchy, Painful foreskin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Swollen, Itchy, Painful foreskin

A few days ago i noticed the skin right underneath the head of my penis was slightly red.  At the time it didn't hurt so much so i didn't make a big deal out of it.  As the week progressed, it became worse.  There were red sores and were so painful to even touch.  There were also two small red dots at the edge of the glans (glands).  I started freaking out because i thought it was an std.  But there's no way i can have an std because I've been monogamous and my partner doesn't have anything.  I have been waking up in the middle of the night because it's just so painful.  Last night tho, it was just really itchy, and i noticed that my foreskin is very swollen.
Now that i think about it, this started when i went to ukraine last september.  Ever since then, my foreskin has been secreting a lot more of that colorless fluid.  I remember this happening to me when i was a child and my doctor gave me a cream and it went away.  I was too young to know the name of that creme and my dad is no longer around to tell me what that was. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking that you might have a yeast infection. I have had several after the use of antibiotics to treat infections.
With a yeast infection it is important that both partners are treated at the same time. If not you keep passing the infection on to each other.
In the case of an uncircumcised male you are at a slightly higher risk.
Monistat or Canesten cream can be used.
Wash the penis well, meaning if uncircumcised retract the foreskin completely and wash with water, no soap as it will irritate the skin. Dry the penis and once again completely retract the foreskin. With the foreskin retracted cover the entire surface and part of the scrotum with the cream. Return the foreskin over the glans (glands) of the penis and cover the remaining skin of the penis.
It can take weeks to months before a yeast infection is cleared up. The best would be to get tested at a medical clinic, to ensure that the infection is under control.
Yeast can also involve the digestive tract as well as the mouth.
Eat lots of yoghurt or use probiotics to restore the needed bacteria in the degestive tract.

Good luck,

Ron
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It can be due to balanopsthitis but if you have any history of unprotected intercourse then STD’s need to be ruled out. Oral course of antibiotics is needed. In addition, don’t use any cosmetics on the penis, instead use some topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Lotrimin. Also corticosteroids and topical immunosuppressants can be used but they are available under prescription. Also retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then please consult a urologist/dermatologist for evaluation and antimicrobials and steroids prescription.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.